Ms250 question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jasonrkba

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I picked one up with a damaged case. I bought a used case in great shape on ebay. After transferring everything over the coil mounts differently, old case mounted at one or two o'clock the new one mounts at four or five o'clock. After studying a couple IPL's I think I purchased a case for a ms250C. After buying the correct coil and flywheel will I have to buy the easy start starter?

Thanks. Jason.

Had the reverse problem, an aftermarket flywheel I bought for my 250 would fit on the crank for the 4-5 oclock version, mine was the 2 oclock. I simply filed off the cast in flywheel key and mounted it in the correct position. Normally the key is only there for alignment. You should be able to do the same with yours. As for the easy start, no idea, I think the starter pawls would determine that.

I picked one up with a damaged case. I bought a used case in great shape on ebay. After transferring everything over the coil mounts differently, old case mounted at one or two o'clock the new one mounts at four or five o'clock. After studying a couple IPL's I think I purchased a case for a ms250C. After buying the correct coil and flywheel will I have to buy the easy start starter?

Thanks. Jason.
Yes.

Thanks. Jason.
It depends on which flywheel you bought. If it has the starter pawls on the flywheel you'll have to change to the easy start. If not then it's okay to use the regular starter.

I hope your right. I can save some money. Are you saying the standard flywheel works with both coils?
Like was said, if the coil mounts in a different place you'll have to set the timing by removing the flywheel key and turn the flywheel to the correct position, but yes, you can use either flywheel.
I noticed ebay has new cases for the ms250 which are the non-C models for $35 if that's of interest and you don't mind aftermarket..

I'll cut the key and set it. I've already spent more than i wanted on this saw. Hyway piston, Stihl case, Stihl fuel line, Stihl impulse, Stihl bar and Stihl chain, Stihl rim sprocket, carb kit, SKF bearings, seals, Stihl oil pump and now a coil.

I tried getting the standard flywheel and starter to work today with no success. I tried for about 2.5 hours. I ground off the key and probably tried clocking it about 20 times. I got it to pop a little but it would never try to run. Guess I'll poney up the big money for a starter and flywheel. I have a lot of neck issues so an easy start might be a good idea anyways.

Latest posts

Back