MS250s flywheel and recoil starter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I put the ms170 rotor in the original recoil starter housing and all looked good, but that is now damaged. It started well after the first couple of pulls, turned off the chainsaw and tried starting again, that's when it broke. I'll try post an image shortly. I'm going to look more into Stihltechs question and Zerojunks info as i'm starting to believe its not the starter OEM or AM. Time to take it apart again. Could probably do it with my eyes closed at this point
Closely observe the gap between the flywheel and the coil/electronic module to see if the flywheel is wobbly.

If the cage that separates the crank bearings comes apart then the bearings can bunch on one side and give the flywheel enough room to bang around on whatever.

I bought a non-running Stihl saw that had this issue. It was so bad that the owner could not pull start the saw or he would have kept using it.
I had this happen on a MS250. It had the plastic bearings separator that started breaking up in small pieces and the pieces would cause the bearing to slide instead of roll.
When inspecting I happen to notice that I could turn the flywheel backwards and it would eventually turn easier, then start turning the correct direction and it would eventually turn tighter. The rollers bearings were moving the small plastic chips inside the race.
I installed new bearings that had the metal separator.

Summary: No need in trying to keep running a Stihl saw that OP knows it's got serious issues when it's destroying itself.
Not like the problem is going to fix itself.
Kinda in same category as putting a screen door on a submarine and hoping for the best when it placed in service..

Your first post says it is a 250C. That is the easy start version. The fly wheel you have in the pictures is not for the easy start. When your dad replaced the case did he replace it with a 250C? Also is the recoil the easystart?

Latest posts

Back