MS250 What's a new one cost?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fearofpavement

Trying them all
Reaction score
Just wondered how much a new MS250 costs? 18" bar. I have an opportunity to acquire an unused one and wondered if it is a good deal (below $200 but no case)

I don't really need one of these but CAD ya know...

Also, am I correct in my thinking that this is a homeowner grade saw and would be a significant step below an MS260?

Thanks.

Just wondered how much a new MS250 costs? 18" bar. I have an opportunity to acquire an unused one and wondered if it is a good deal (below $200 but no case)

Also, am I correct in my thinking that this is a homeowner grade saw and would be a significant step below an MS260?

Thanks.
good price for you-new 6 mo ago was just over 3oo but have heard stihl just raised prices-check local dealer website for prices in your area- it is a homeowner grade saw- if you can buy it that cheap you can prob resell it and make dinner for two at outback:curl-lip:

They actually lowered the price $10 on this saw. It's $299.95 with an 18". Homeowner saw that gets abused daily but still runs.

Thanks.

Power and weight #'s aren't far off of a 260, but the build quality is a lot cheaper.

If I had an unused one, I'd be tempted to sell it on Ebay!

I was looking a couple months ago and they were $309.xx at every dealer. They wouldn't budge so I bought a different saw.

There's a MS250 "in excellent condition" on the local Craigslist for $150.00. The price seems about right from what I've seen (excluding the folks who think a used chainsaw is worth near the cost of a new one).

How much "below $200" is the one you're considerring?

New cost around here is around $300.

If it's brand new under $200, I'd say that's a pretty good deal. I bought a used MS250 in great shape a year ago for $185. I used it for a year and then just sold it for $175 locally.

So, if you don't end up liking it, I'm sure you could get your money back or even make some.

Also, I have an 026 with an 18" bar running .325 .063ga chain. Would that likely be the same?
Yes the pitch and gauge are the same. However the 250 18 inch is 68 drive links while 026 is 74 drive links. Also the bars are different mounts

Well, I talked to the owner and it turns out the saw isn't "new". He said his other saw broke and he purchased this a month ago and used it about 1/2 hour. Then he got his other saw running with a new plug so is keeping that one and selling this one to raise cash. The saw came with a 14" bar but now has an 18" bar on it so I guess he traded with what was on the other saw? I'm out so if anyone is interested in it, look on the Columbus, Georgia Craigslist. He's asking $180 and lives right in Columbus, GA.

299$ on sale @ shop A with 18" bar Regular 350 lol
309$ on sale @ shop B with 18" bar regular 350
349$ @ local lawrence tractor with 18" bar

Stihl website list's the price at all of these shops as 299.99$ go figure

Regards J

299$ on sale @ shop A with 18" bar Regular 350 lol
309$ on sale @ shop B with 18" bar regular 350
349$ @ local lawrence tractor with 18" bar

Stihl website list's the price at all of these shops as 299.99$ go figure

Regards J

Remember thats just DSRP. Dealer can sell at whatever they want. Probably do it because so many people haggle and get down to near DSRP anyway, lol.

I just paid 200 for this 250.

was looking for the 250c easy start but this was so clean I grabbed it.

It must of been straight gassed cause it has fresh piston now and also new bar and chain.

I have a new C starter for it but will need the correct flywheel to convert to EZ start.

CIMG4814.jpg

Help a new guy out whats the diff on he chain guage?? Whats better and why

The gauge of a chain is the "thickness" of the drive links or another way to put it would be the width of the groove in the bar. The gauge varies from saw model to saw model and some I am familiar with is .043, .050, .058, .063. Those are thousands of an inch. As far as which is better, I guess it depends. A narrow chain/bar will take out less wood and thus needs less power, a thicker chain is stronger. Although I have broken .043 chain and .063 chain. To clarify, the tooth style is what actually takes out the wood but it has to be supported by the rest of the chain. I think .050 gauge chain is about the most common and that is somewhat in the middle size wise. I myself am not sure why there are so many inconsistencies on chain gauges. Maybe its like printer cartridges and they want you to buy their brand. Most saws will accept different gauge chains. Just need to make sure the bar and chain have the same gauge. (and pitch of course)

Latest posts

Back