ms250bc vs ms270c

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druzin

Reaction score
Hello
I am looking to purchase a new saw. I like stihl and am looking at the 250 and 270. I know the difference is in weight and power also the 250 has a 16" bar and the 270 has an 18" bar. I am a typical home user that cuts downed trees and firewood. There is only a $10 difference between the saws. Normally I would go with more power the better however wondering if the extra weight should be a bigger consideration. I do at time have to walk 2 - blocks in the woods with the saw. Any opinions would be appreciated.

What are you cutting? Species, size, quantity? This will be a big factor in choosing the correct size/power/weight of saw for you.

You can get myriad bar lengths for either saw, so I wouldn't get too fixated on the on-the-shelf bar lengths that either of those saws have. Both saws will be at their best, if you're cutting hardwood, with 16" bars, though the 270 will be a bit more lively with that bar length than the 250. Aim for a 3:1 ratio of cc:bar length in inches for really good performance; 4:1 is better still, if it can be done.

Oh, and welcome to the site!!

thanks for the info

I will be cutting ash, poplar and some oak most of which is in the 12" diameter
I expect to be cutting about 2-3 cords of wood a year. Wondering if the easy2start feature is useful or would the larger motor even with the extra weight be a better option. Have not done a lot of cutting so far but have some wooded land now and will be doing more cutting dead falls and dropping some trees.

2 blocks as in 600 feet/200 yards? Shouldn't be a problem to carry the extra weight. Either should do the job. For the difference in price, I'd go for the power.

+1. For the extra power you wont miss the ten bucks. Welcome to AS.

Back