MS260 oiling concern

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zaasman

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a new MS260 (purchased based on feedback from you guys) and have burnt about 5 tanks. The saw is great, and is just starting to feel strong. I have one concern though, I don't think the bar and chain is getting as much oil as it should.

I'm running a 20" bar with 325 chain, I have the oiler adjusted to max, and it's only using about half a tank of oil per full tank of gas. I've been keeping the saw and bar groove clean. I've run the saw with bar/chain removed, and find a nice steady stream of oil flows. I've checked that the bar port lines up nice. All looks good, but I find the chain just seems a little dry to me, and is now showing a little blue.

Here's a picture of the chain, does the bluish coloring on the cutters look within reason, or do I have a problem? The chain is definitely moist with oil, but I think it should be down right wet. Am I wrong?

OP said he had the oiler adjusted to the max so I am guessing it is the pro model.
I would not worry about the ratio between gas and oil being used as long as it is oiling. Start the saw, hold the throttle open and the bar a foot or so away from the ground and you should see oil.
If you do see oil let er eat.

If you have an adjustable oiler, you have the Pro....

Your oil usuage sounds about on par with my 361...chain looks good too.

Thanks for the replies..

I'm in Canada, and have the Arctic VW model. I think this is essentially the same as the pro, with the addition of heated carb and handles. It does have the adjustable oiler, and it is turned all the way up.

Thanks again, I'm no pro and don't have a lot to compare to. I've been using an old 038 until now, and I'm just used to that running a lot more oiled. That one uses almost exactly a tank for a tank.

It's quite possible that the blue on the chain was there from the start. It wasn't until I first thought the chain seemed a little dry that I stopped to take a close look. But if you guys say that looks normal, perfect, just what I needed to hear.

I have a bunch of cutting to do tonight, I think I'll run it good and hard and let it be.

Latest posts

Back