ms260 or ms261

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two thumbs up !

Guys, Thank you. This kind of threads are the very essence of AS.

Back to our chainsaws, I couldn`t help to notice that saws are pretty much like women;
some are heavy; some like that, some don`t. ergo choosing a heavy woman for the thrill of being squashed beneath, is not a matter of stupidity or objectivity.
there are only points of view.
If the OP is Stihl lover, I think there is a reason for him to go between 260 and 261.
I must admit that I don`t intend to get either of them, but if I were, I would most definitely get the 261.
Forget about the handling of the 346. You`ll have fun with the 261 and never think about this again.
Really, think of all the guys out there, really knowledgeable guys, do you really think that they don`t know the handling issue (if any for you have to really need a limbing saw to notice) ? c`mon. They must know. Do they choose to ignore it? YES. therefore, not a big issue. They are happy with the 261 as it is? Yes.
enjoy it mate !

On the other hand, I feel for those obsessed with perfection; but the likes of us are seldom happy; aren`t we ?

The so called handling advantage of the 346 is blow totally out of proportion on AS by a guy who has never touched one. Having both the 346 and 261 they are both good saws, but the 261 clearly has it out classed in air filtration, vibration levels, wider powerband especially on the lower end, captive bar nuts, better on/off control
and gives up very, very little in the handling department. I still run both saws almost on a daily basis but pick up the 261 first more and more.

The so called handling advantage of the 346 is blow totally out of proportion on AS by a guy who has never touched one. Having both the 346 and 261 they are both good saws, but the 261 clearly has it out classed in air filtration, vibration levels, wider powerband especially on the lower end, captive bar nuts, better on/off control
and gives up very, very little in the handling department. I still run both saws almost on a daily basis but pick up the 261 first more and more.

I can`t argue with that. I wonder when Husqvarna is going to answer to 261.
I also ask myself: for how long a saw has to be on market long enough to show the weak points (if any).

I can`t argue with that. I wonder when Husqvarna is going to answer to 261.
I also ask myself: for how long a saw has to be on market long enough to show the weak points (if any).

I have both the 346xpne and the ms261. Last night while laying in bed I heard an aweful racket! I got up and determined the noise was coming from my shop. As I approached the shop everything got quiet. I opened the doors and my jaw hit the floor. There my 346 lay, cut in pieces. I looked at all my chainsaws and finally noticed the chain on the ms261 was really boogered up pretty bad. Looks like there really is a new king on the block............and I don't think my 346 is nimble any more!

Waylan

I had the opportunity today to check out a MS 261 all i can say is Nice. Good vibration canceling and throttle response. Feels alot better than a 260.

I have a 261 and can't wait until the weather allows me to spend lots of quality time with it. I think the OP has chosen a great 2 saw plan with the 261 ahd 441, they are both great saws and will be an awsome firewood duo.

Steve

I have both the 346xpne and the ms261. Last night while laying in bed I heard an aweful racket! I got up and determined the noise was coming from my shop. As I approached the shop everything got quiet. I opened the doors and my jaw hit the floor. There my 346 lay, cut in pieces. I looked at all my chainsaws and finally noticed the chain on the ms261 was really boogered up pretty bad. Looks like there really is a new king on the block............and I don't think my 346 is nimble any more!

Waylan

LOL
for that only the test of time will provide the right answer.
But i`m happy knowing that more great saws see the light of day.
you see, if a saw builder releases a great saw, the competition fight teeth and nails to match the offer. their competition is our benefit; I wish they compete to a lower prices end too; but somehow I think they have a way to keep prices up;
anyone remember long ago when they let few ships go under water loaded with tea instead of just lowering prices a bit? I think it was the coast of England few hundreds years ago if memory serves me well.
On the other hand, i`m set for a while so maybe, just maybe few years from now, Chinese saws may become Japanese cars and tables will turn. The Detroit chainsaw makers will suffer a blow and then they bow to the common people.
What was it about again ? This thread ? Will go back to bed now....

I had the opportunity today to check out a MS 261 all i can say is Nice. Good vibration canceling and throttle response. Feels alot better than a 260.

The question is if it really fits in the 50cc class, because of weight, bulk and handling.....:msp_rolleyes:

The MS241 looks like a better alternative, even though it is only 43cc, and is weaker than the ol' 242xp - just because it is smaller and lighter.....

Last edited:
The question is if it really fits in the 50cc class, because of weight, bulk and handling.....:msp_rolleyes:

Niko, a game: (if you wanna play)
You know nothing about this 261. It is year 2009. June, 21.
I hand the saw to you, and show you few logs, all types and textures, different sizes.
Tomorrow I came back and you have to describe the saw and guess the cc, the power etc.

what class would you say it is and what are your impressions ?

Of course it is nice, but then compare it to some other 50cc saws for limbing etc......

As a lighter, faster, better, alternative to the 290 for a small GP/firewood saw, the 261 is gonna be a GEM. The 260 was good in that role, so given better AV,filtration,and some extra grunt it will be better despite the weight gain.

For a specialized limbing saw? Troll is on the mark.

I suspect narrowly defined interpretations of utility are the cause of this quibble, and depending on individual perspective, both sides are right.

Stay safe!

Couldn't agree more.

geoff.
:cheers:

I can`t argue with that. I wonder when Husqvarna is going to answer to 261. I also ask myself: for how long a saw has to be on market long enough to show the weak points (if any).

They don't have to answer since the 346 is already there and they can still sell it within the emissions regulations;) 0,3kg less weight, same power, superb a/v and air filtration as always on Husky and in a slim package.

Personally I think Husky should think more about answering the ms241 with a new modern 242 and a target weight of around 4,5 kg. The 550xp that will replace the 346 should be around 4,9 kg like Stihl also had with the 026/260. Too bad almost 30 years of development has resulted in a 0,5kg heavier saw ..
With Stihl, I would definatley go for the 241 and a 361, the 261 is too close to a 60cc is weight. When we used to run Stihl in the family, we regretted changing the 024 for the 026 too.

Last edited:
They don't have to answer since the 346 is already there and they can still sell it within the emissions regulations;) 0,3kg less weight, same power, superb a/v and air filtration as always on Husky and in a slim package.

Personally I think Husky should think more about answering the ms241 with a new modern 242 and a target weight of around 4,5 kg. The 550xp that will replace the 346 should be around 4,9 kg like Stihl also had with the 026/260. Too bad almost 30 years of development has resulted in a 0,5kg heavier saw ..
With Stihl, I would definatley go for the 241 and a 361, the 261 is too close to a 60cc is weight. When we used to run Stihl in the family, we regretted changing the 024 for the 026 too.

on the other hand if no newer model of 346 appears, the leadership may fire the designers and the research team.
:)
In the end, I guess the saw you buy is like the girlfriend you already have: admire what she has and don`t let what she does not have bother you.

I didn`t knew that 241 was available in the US; we have it here, a bit cheaper than 361.
maybe there the 261 fits the shoes of the 241; smaller than 362, lighter, cheaper, a great saw for some allarounders.
after all, have anyone ever stated that he took the 261 just for limbing ?

Last edited:
no coment

untitled.jpg

All I know is the more I read about the MS261 the more I cannot wait until I get my grubby mits on one which hopefully will not take to long:D:D:D:msp_lol:

:agree2: with most of that - but there wasn't much weight difference between the 024 and 026 if you avoided any "extras". There is a lot more difference between the 261 and the 241.

It will never handle like the 260, as it is quite a lot heavier and a bit bulkier.

Of course it will not matter much for those that mainly want the saw for cookie cutting or bucking up logs......

have you used either saw????

im just stating my opinion, your more then welcome to bark yours out i guess, but in my opinion the 261 does handle as good as the 260 and doesn't seem any more bulky or heavy. i also own a 026 pro and all three are great saws just the 261 is far ahead in design and power, i love my new 261!!!!

Back