MS260 question??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CORDWOOD

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I bought a used Stihl ms260 and have cleaned it up with hopes of having a good saw for cutting firewood for personal use. I thought it was ready for action when I found that the chain either gets real loose quickly or tightens up to the point of stopping the chain. I took the bar off and inspected the tensioner. It appears to have some sort of problem. I can wiggle the pin that goes through the bar and it moves 1/8"-1/4". I am no expert but I think it should remain rock solid until the screw is adjusted?? Does this sound like a simple fix? What are the potential problems? Thanks

The bar shouldn't move at all once you tighten down the bar nuts. If it does, you may have a problem with the studs or nuts.

Once on an 024 I had forgotten to tighten them down when I was working on the saw in the garage. Took the saw out a few days later and didn't think to check. Sure enough, the tensioner tightened down enough to lock the chain down. Some concern and clutch wear later, the saw is doing just fine.

The moral of this is just to make sure you always check your nuts.

Last edited:
Take the bar and chain and cover off and start the saw and run it lightly, check
for a nice line of oil flow.

Also post a pic of your sprocket and the adjuster, if you can. The bottom links of the chain too.

I am betting that it is new sprocket/chain time....

After Fish's checks, check the chain adjuster's screw. Is it straight? W/O bar or chain on, spin the adjuster screw and watch the lug that goes into the bar. Does it move smoothly, or "wobbly".

A bent adjuster screw will drive you completely insane trying to adjust to the proper tension.

I bought a used Stihl ms260 and have cleaned it up with hopes of having a good saw for cutting firewood for personal use. I thought it was ready for action when I found that the chain either gets real loose quickly or tightens up to the point of stopping the chain. I took the bar off and inspected the tensioner. It appears to have some sort of problem. I can wiggle the pin that goes through the bar and it moves 1/8"-1/4". I am no expert but I think it should remain rock solid until the screw is adjusted?? Does this sound like a simple fix? What are the potential problems? Thanks
1st,its not the adjuster pin that holds the bar,even if you took it out and just pulled the bar foward its the clutch cover that holds it there.
Sounds too me like you got an oiling or sprocket problem.

1st,its not the adjuster pin that holds the bar,even if you took it out and just pulled the bar foward its the clutch cover that holds it there.
Sounds too me like you got an oiling or sprocket problem.

You hit the nail on the head. It was a sprocket problem. I took the saw in to the local stihl dealer. He was very helpful and found that the saw had a 3/8" sprocket installed. He said this saw does not come with that sprocket which was causing a simple chain /sprocket conflict. $7 for a new sprocket and I was out the door. A lot to be said for a business that provides service on the equipment they sell. Thanks for the advice! I am learning as I go!

BTW- I think I may have the saw fever. I found a really cool old stihl 020 AVP electric that I am going to pick up to have a small/light duty saw. It is in very good shape. All metal, retro look. Probably older than me but in better shape!

Thanks again to all!

Good deal ...glad your able to get your problem resolved. Sounds like you got a great dealer to build a good relationship with.

You don't see too many old 020's around anymore, but they were good saws.

Good deal ...glad your able to get your problem resolved. Sounds like you got a great dealer to build a good relationship with.

You don't see too many old 020's around anymore, but they were good saws.
I missed a good deal on an .024 that a guy at work said he found on the road(afraid it was hot).A coworker bought it for a hundred bucks and has cut a bunch of wood with it in the last 10 years.
Was the .020 the same power head as the top handle?

BTW- I think I may have the saw fever. I found a really cool old stihl 020 AVP electric that I am going to pick up to have a small/light duty saw. It is in very good shape. All metal, retro look. Probably older than me but in better shape!

Thanks again to all!

Snap up that 020AVP if you can get it. I had one when they first came out. It was a cute little saw. They weren't very powerful when compared to MS200 now though. So don't think they are the same saw. I used the 020 as a brush cuttter and limber. It was the truck saw. I had a Stihl case for it and it went everywhere in the woods with me. It came in handy when there was a tree across the road. Sadly, I sold it to one of my buddies years ago after I got married and the little saw didn't get much use anymore. I certainly wish I kept it now though.

Bob

Well I couldn't help myself! Less than a week ago I bought my first Stihl saw-ms260. I have been checking the pawnshops and ran across the super cool 020 AVP. I was drawn to the little saw because of how unique it looked. The craftmanship was unlike anything you find today. I am now the proud owner of my second Stihl saw in less than a week. I have been amazed at the passion, knowledge, and willingness to help each other demonstrated on this forum. I have a feeling I will be a lifelong member from this point. I make a living as a network technician for the phone company. My wife is the daughter of a logger. Both of my sons first tractor rides were on logging equipment. Probably a Timberjack skidder or a Prentice loader. Although I have taken a likeing to the Stihl equipment I have always been exposed to Huskys with the inlaws family logging business. I guess my point is .....I understand the culture that drives this great discussion board!

He he he........another sucker is born. You've caught it, make room on your garage/shop/shed shelves because I think you'll be adding to your collection.

BTW, the affliction is called CAD....

Back