MS261 CM Starting PROBLEMS

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a new Stihl 261 CM a few weeks ago. When the engine is cold, it floods and then I have to wait 15-20 minutes and then it starts easily. I always attempt to start it by putting it on "Start" and pulling it 1-3 times. I never pops even if I pull several more times. I move the switch up and it still won't start unless I give it a rest. After I finally get it started, I have no problems starting it again. Any suggestions?
You are getting a lot of good info on 261C problems here but I suspect there is really nothing wrong with your saw. I live in CO and saw at higher altitudes. I own/run/maintain lots of 261Cs and 362Cs and they have their quirks. My experience is these saws flood very easy in START. I learned long ago to first try starting the saw (Mtronic or Autotune) in RUN, not START, bearing in mind that if the gas has drained from the carb you are going to have to pull 5-6 times just to get gas back in the carb.
If the saw does get flooded, try the trick of trying to start it while holding the throttle wide open. This works with any saw. It takes some practice to learn doing this with only two hands 🤨. Before I got proficient doing this I carried a little piece of Velcro strip that I could wrap around the trigger to hold it open.

You are getting a lot of good info on 261C problems here but I suspect there is really nothing wrong with your saw. I live in CO and saw at higher altitudes. I own/run/maintain lots of 261Cs and 362Cs and they have their quirks. My experience is these saws flood very easy in START. I learned long ago to first try starting the saw (Mtronic or Autotune) in RUN, not START, bearing in mind that if the gas has drained from the carb you are going to have to pull 5-6 times just to get gas back in the carb.
If the saw does get flooded, try the trick of trying to start it while holding the throttle wide open. This works with any saw. It takes some practice to learn doing this with only two hands 🤨. Before I got proficient doing this I carried a little piece of Velcro strip that I could wrap around the trigger to hold it open.
Don't Velcro that throttle wide open anymore, you want to be able to let off full throttle fast once it starts. !

Latest posts

Back