MS261 recall

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmethodrose

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
just saw on another UK based forum there is a recall of some MS261s, due to a problem with the needle bearing. So thought I'd post it on here, don't know if it applies internationally or if it is confined to the UK.

I can't post a link due to forum rules, PM me if you would like this (saying this isn't breaking rules, is it?)

cheers,
Joe

I posted a link a while ago to said forum, and my attention was kindly drawn to the forum rules. So I don't really want to take the risk of re offending!

We have sold quite a few 261's. Only 1 failure. Clutch side bearing failed in a 2 day old saw. Replacement bearings seem to be an issue however. Saw failed in Sept and bearings are not in yet. Early Jan is the due date.

Last edited:
We have sold quite a few 261's. Only 1 failure. Clutch side bearing failed in a 2 day old saw. Replacement bearings seem to be an issue however. Saw failed in Sept and bearings are not in yet. Early Jan is the due date.

Oh Hell no. That would not fly if it was my saw. I'd be walking out the door with a new, or loaner 261.

I'm not aware of any needle bearings in it. The crank bearings are both ball bearings. The rod bearings are both roller bearings, as is the clutch drum bearing.

I haven't seen the inside of a 261. Are you saying the big and small ends of the crank have roller ball bearings? I've never seen anything but needle bearings those places in a saw.

Kevin

I'm not aware of any needle bearings in it. The crank bearings are both ball bearings. The rod bearings are both roller bearings, as is the clutch drum bearing.

I believe to some folks, and in this case, 'roller' and 'needle' bearings are the same thing.

I believe to some folks, and in this case, 'roller' and 'needle' bearings are the same thing.

I bet you're right. I know Blsnelling is a smart guy and he must be thinking along those lines. If you google needle bearing picture it will show you a nml caged top-end bearing. That is what I think of when I hear needle bearing.

Kevin

Good on you guys. I cant believe its backordered that long.

Well, I imagine that if there's a recall, then all the spares are being ordered up to fix the problem saws! Heck, if there's a problem with the ones they have then they probably pulled all of the spares to replace with a new non-defective one.

For most any two-stroke the rod big and small end use needle bearings, which are a type of rolling element bearing.

That is really odd, considering how long the model has been out in Europe! :msp_confused:

Latest posts

Back