MS261cm or MS291

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Get that MS261 with an 18" .325" bar, at least 4 RS chains that fit it, and run the snot out of it.

Invest in some chaps, use them, and read thru this site for good info on how to safely do what you are intending to do.

I thought I was doing everything right: till I joined here.

We all think we can do ______, but I've learned quite a bit about the right way to do things from Listening to the old crusty buzzards that poast here: a lot of them feed, or have fed their families with chainsaws.

These two saws are absolutely apples and oranges. There are MANY VERY IMPORTANT differences between them, as listed above. I would DEFINITELY spend more for the 261cm. I'm no professional either, but, you will be surprised how often you will need/want to use your saw once you move into "the woods." Like you, I moved onto about 10 wooded acres about 7 years ago. First saw I bought was a MS260 and loved it. Always reliable and plenty powerful. I trade in the 260 for a small saw for my wife to use in emergencies, but after about 1-2 months I missed the 260 so much, I picked up a new MS261CM.

I bought 2 new saws at the end of 2014 for the business... an MS-201T and an MS-261C-MQ and both saws are excellent performers. I still have the older MS-200T and MS-260 and quite frankly, I think both of the new saws perform as well as their older counterparts, and in most regards, better.

I've got a 20" bar on the MS-261C-MQ which is a good all around length for what you're doing. As others have said, the extra expense of the commercial grade saws is well worth the better performance and reliability. With that much work ahead of you, the time will come when you'll be glad that you went with the better saw.

Latest posts

Back