Ms271 worthwhile mods?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevetheboatguy

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I have a 2016 ms271 that was straight gassed on it's first day. I have it tore down and I'm waiting on a new piston. So I figured if there were and worthwhile mods to be done. This would be the time.

Has anyone done anything to these little clam shell's?

It's probably going to be a few weeks before I get around to doing anything with it, but figured I may end up keeping this one. So I'm not afraid to mess around with it a little.

Steven

These saws have a very sloppy A/V system and tend to tear the intake boots. Its a comfortable saw to run but you sure have to watch them closely.

Does that include the 271 or just the 270?

Brad, I have read there were stiffer AV springs avail to take the slop out of the 270. I tore one boot on a stock 270 at mild firewood duty. They may have stiffened the springs on the 271. Actually a very pleasant saw to run.

I know there just a clamshell design and alot of plastic, but mine runs fantastically and has plenty of power for its size. I like stihls statocharged design over huskys. It has good air filter setup. Although not super hip on having to take the whole hood off to get to it. Not trying to stir anything but i think the 271 would outrun a 290, and the spring mounts are way better.

Funny, I just picked one up yesterday, nice running saw.
I ran about a half tank through it and it did a nice job.
As far as mods, I'm sure a muffler mod/retune would help a bit as it does on most saws.
But I would normally sell a saw like this in totally stock form as most who are buying them are looking for just that.
Then I'd buy something else.
If you are going to keep it one of the main things I would be looking to see if I could mod is the chain oiling system as it's pretty lame, or going to a little shorter B&C.
Let us know what you end up doing with it though, but the one I have will be getting a new home soon :).

I may just end up replacing the piston and run a few tanks through it and sell it. The more I think about it. I was originally thinking of hanging onto it, just because it's basically new. But after running my 350/346 I don't think I'm going to fall in love with it.

Not much room to widen the intake or exhaust, and the upper transfers would be hard to get to. So not much to really make a noticeable improvement besides a muffler mod.

Steven

Latest posts

Back