Ms280 Clutch change

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sourwould

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm having some issues with my Ms280. After I release the throttle the chain is still spinning very faster for a really long time. Also stalling after long cuts. I think the clutch is sticking.

This 280 has the sprocket with the big triangular teeth, not the little one with slots for the teeth. I popped the snap ring and washer off the crank. I figured the sprocket/drum would just pull off. It doesn't. There's nowhere to pry or get the jaws of a puller onto. Suggestions?

Clutch usually is threaded on, clockwise to remove, if no hex head avail u need tool to remove it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oooh, misunderstood, it should slide right off, did it spin freely? Has it seized and that's why chain kept spinning?

It is spinning freely. I can pull it out maybe a 1/8" and it won't come off any further. Oddly, when it's pulled out, it doesn't spin free anymore.

Any resistance from the clutch? I'm thinking it maybe hanging up inside the drum

Lightly tap around the drum with a hammer,see if the clutch pushes back down

Finally got the damn thing off. Had to take the chain brake strap off and put it up with a couple of screwdrivers. I think it's been sticking from oil getting down in there, lime drum brake on a truck with a bad axle seal.

Attachments

• IMG_20161127_092038.jpg
    IMG_20161127_092038.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 49
  • IMG_20161127_093028.jpg
    IMG_20161127_093028.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 42
The worm gear spring sits in that notch

-•------------------------------------------------------------

Just a home owner that likes the older better made machines

Craftsman 3.7 x2
Husqvarna 36

It does look wider, but pics looks distorted there

Craftsman 3.7 x2
Husqvarna 36

The more I look at it the more one of the edges looks angled, did a piece break off and get stuck and that's why the drum wouldn't come off?

Craftsman 3.7 x2
Husqvarna 36

I cleaned up the clutch drum and my sticking clutch issue is gone. I didn't notice any missing chunks cleaning it up. Got to take it back apart again though, since I don't think I got the oil pump drive seated correctly.

U checked worm gear thread while in there?

Craftsman 3.7 x2
Husqvarna 36

Back