MS280 ipl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peacock

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
MS280 ipl *Now with pics*

Anybody have one available or know how to find one online?

Can ya help a brother out??:notrolls2:

Last edited:
Hmmm... won't let me e-mail you and your pm box is full.

Thanks a ton man!!:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Last edited:
You betcha. I've got the jug off now with plans to port it a bit.

I can't believe I forgot......Merry Christmas!!!

Good bunch of guys we've got here.

Last edited:
Here's some pics of the jug and piston. Any tips as to the best place to pick up some power would be appreciated. I'd planned on following Manual's and BLSnelling's threads for some tips. That seem like a lot of carbon for Ultra oil? The saw seemed a bit rich, even at 14.5k.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Here's some pics of the jug and piston. Any tips as to the best place to pick up some power would be appreciated. I'd planned on following Manual's and BLSnelling's threads for some tips. That seem like a lot of carbon for Ultra oil? The saw seemed a bit rich, even at 14.5k[/IMG]

Are you running 50:1? Look pretty typical to me. Unless you use the saw hard (long cuts at full power), you'll get carbon just like that.

As you can see - decking that cylinder is not a viable option for most... Maybe if you have access and the skills to run a real mill it's possible. You'd need to bore the bearing pockets after decking..

Last edited:
I believe you also need to have email enabled to EMAIL though AS, not "PM"... No problem though.. I see you have one.

Are you running 50:1? Look pretty typical to me. Unless you use the saw hard (long cuts at full power), you'll get carbon just like that.

As you can see - decking that cylinder is not a viable option for most... Maybe if you have access and the skills to run a real mill it's possible. You'd need to bore the bearing pockets after decking..

It shows I have mail enabled. Oh well.

I run 50:1 and always have. It's the only saw of mine that has that much carbon. I've got good access to a real Bridgeport at a speed shop where I used to work, but I'll pass on that.

I'm going to measure everything and stick to lowering the intake a bit and widen the exhaust to approx. 65-70% of the bore diameter. Any reason to make the intake more round? I realize that anytime you increase the intake volume you slow down the velocity and subsequently loose a bit of throttle response. The boot matches the intake on the jug almost perfectly. Actually, the whole casting is very clean and free of flaws.

Ok, I've done some measurements. The stock exhaust port is 57% of the bore, so I can safely add .228" to it's width to put me at 70%. The intake port is 1.00" x .620". Squish is .044".

The transfers look ok to me. Maybe chamfer them a bit at the top.

Last edited:
Ok, I've done some measurements. The stock exhaust port is 57% of the bore, so I can safely add .228" to it's width to put me at 70%. The intake port is 1.00" x .620". Squish is .044".

The transfers look ok to me. Maybe chamfer them a bit at the top.

Nice pics there. Looks like your really getting into the modding thing, good job. Keep us updated on the results of your efforts. If you get a bunch of gains I may have to copy your work onto my 280..

Back