ms290 + $240 = ms361

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

i'mstihlaguy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Why does the MS361 cost so much more than the MS290? I know mid-range vs. pro but I dont see $240 worth of differences in the specs.

Me either, so I own a 290.

You can go the other way and notice the several hundred dollars more you would pay for the 260 which is a pro saw and smaller than the 290.

I first thought the overall weight would be alot less on pro saws but that doesn't seem to be the case. Anyone else have any insight on why Stihl pro saws are so much more expensive than their mid-range models?

More power, better antivibe, easier to work on. 361 is a nice quiet low vibe saw and it feels good when your cuttin...JMHO

The 290 is a good saw as well. First one I ever owned and cut lots of wood with it for years.

i'mStihlaguy that's a great signature! Rep coming for ya.

For me, the difference in weight and increased power makes the 361 worth the price. Better get em while they're hot: they being discontinued. Here's a pic of my trusty 361. Note the 18" bar; I don't have any redwoods around here to cut down.

Last edited:
I own couple of each mid and pro saws and if i had to start over, Pro saws definitly the way to go ,built better but most of all there is a big difference in parts availability gen and non-gen and price of parts non-gen far outweighs the saving on initial purchase of a mid saw,hope this helps:lifter:

My first saw was a MS310, I then got a 460, givven it is a bigger saw, the pro saws handle so much better. I have a 026, and I would run a 026 over a 290 any day.

Thanks everybody for the feedback. Sounds like the pro saws are made to run all day without wearing you out as bad. I've had an 026 for 15+ years and it has never let me down. Starting to cut more wood again so I have been looking for a second larger saw. Out of the blue my dad decided to just give me his MS290 which is still new in the case. He doesn't burn wood and always asks me to come over and cut any downed trees on the fences, etc. At first I thought it was much bigger than the 026 because I wasn't familiar with the new numbering system. I am thinking about taking it to the Stihl dealer where my dad bought it to see if he would take on trade for the MS361. If he would treat the MS290 as a new saw then I would only have $240 in the MS361. I am going to swing by the dealer today and see how it goes.

Thanks everybody for the feedback. Sounds like the pro saws are made to run all day without wearing you out as bad. I've had an 026 for 15+ years and it has never let me down. Starting to cut more wood again so I have been looking for a second larger saw. Out of the blue my dad decided to just give me his MS290 which is still new in the case. He doesn't burn wood and always asks me to come over and cut any downed trees on the fences, etc. At first I thought it was much bigger than the 026 because I wasn't familiar with the new numbering system. I am thinking about taking it to the Stihl dealer where my dad bought it to see if he would take on trade for the MS361. If he would treat the MS290 as a new saw then I would only have $240 in the MS361. I am going to swing by the dealer today and see how it goes.

Guess you've never traded something in. They offer you a low price and then sell it for a profit. I really doubt he is going to give you over $400 for a used saw which is what you have even if it's never been run. If you want the most for you saw, sell it on ebay. The prices on there get rediculous sometimes.

Rebuild them both then you will see the big differences. It is worth the extra money for the pro saws I will never own a mid line saw again unless it is given to me.

Guess you've never traded something in. They offer you a low price and then sell it for a profit. I really doubt he is going to give you over $400 for a used saw which is what you have even if it's never been run. If you want the most for you saw, sell it on ebay. The prices on there get rediculous sometimes.

Well no, I didn't think he would do it for nothing unless he was just a really nice guy :dizzy:. I just figured a dealer would make more on the sale of a ms361 than a ms290. And since the 290 is supposedly their best moving saw then he would be able to turn it around quickly.

So here's what happened. He agrees that he can't tell the difference between my saw and the other 290 he has on the shelf. He said the problem is that the warranty does not transfer so he can't sell it at full price. Yes, I can understand that because I sure wouldn't buy it for the new price if I could have the other one with warranty. Dad actually gave $349 for the 290 back in Nov. of last year and got a free case (I am keeping the case). He sells the 290's for $379 now but offered me $300 for the saw toward the 361 which he sells for $619. I told him I would think about it.

My first saw was a 310. I used it for about a month and realized I needed a bigger saw, and that I would tear that 310 up within the year. I was at my dealer and explained to him the mistake I made and he said no problem. He said that Stihl has a buy back program, that as long as you buy a new Stihl they will buy your other one back from you, as long as it isnt older than a month old. They bought it back from me for 10% less than what I payed for it.

Might be something to check out. I then got my 460

Well no, I didn't think he would do it for nothing unless he was just a really nice guy :dizzy:. I just figured a dealer would make more on the sale of a ms361 than a ms290. And since the 290 is supposedly their best moving saw then he would be able to turn it around quickly.

So here's what happened. He agrees that he can't tell the difference between my saw and the other 290 he has on the shelf. He said the problem is that the warranty does not transfer so he can't sell it at full price. Yes, I can understand that because I sure wouldn't buy it for the new price if I could have the other one with warranty. Dad actually gave $349 for the 290 back in Nov. of last year and got a free case (I am keeping the case). He sells the 290's for $379 now but offered me $300 for the saw toward the 361 which he sells for $619. I told him I would think about it.

I bet you get more than 3 even after shipping if you sell it on ebay.

considering you have nothing in this saw, hes offering you 300 . so for 319 you would get a bigger saw with a warranty and maybe some extras( oil and such) doesnt sound too bad at all.

now on ebay you might, and i stress might get more than 300, but then again you could get a whole lot less.

considering you have nothing in this saw, hes offering you 300 . so for 319 you would get a bigger saw with a warranty and maybe some extras( oil and such) doesnt sound too bad at all.

now on ebay you might, and i stress might get more than 300, but then again you could get a whole lot less.

No, you just set your reserve at $300. Worst case, you're just out your listing fee.

Good point. If I was seriously considering the $300 trade-in allowance (still trying to decide) then it would be worth it to "explore" the ebay option using a $300 reserve. Warranty is not an issue on the 290. I am a Jr. so it is already registered in my name more or less. You guys are good to bounce stuff off of. Thanks.

Holy cow Scott, you were right!

I just looked at some competed listings on ebay and a slightly used (add says pristine) 290 sold for $337 + $30 shipping. A new one didn't meet the reserve but was bid up to $338.33 with $40 shipping. Both ended just a few days ago. I had no idea people would bid stuff up that close to retail. Thanks again for the suggestion.

I just looked at some competed listings on ebay and a slightly used (add says pristine) 290 sold for $337 + $30 shipping. A new one didn't meet the reserve but was bid up to $338.33 with $40 shipping. Both ended just a few days ago. I had no idea people would bid stuff up that close to retail. Thanks again for the suggestion.

And if you REALLY want to run the bid up, learn how to ship overseas. You could get even more than the price of a new one if you can ship overseas.

Latest posts

Back