MS290 TO 390 CONVERSION OR STICK WITH OEM

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ammoaddict, I'm going to tear it down. If there is any question about whether the cylinder can be saved I'm going the 390 route. If I can easily salvage the OEM Stihl cylinder I will stay with stock and get a quality piston and rings. If I go just the piston route what's a quality brand to look for there? I read a lot on here about Meteor brand or Kaber?

Thumbs up for the Meteor piston kit. It's what I used on the 290 I did.

Just check over the old wrist pin and bearing for heat damage. Bluing of either would call for replacing the bearing as most piston kits come with a new wrist pin but no bearing. I had to buy a new Stihl bearing as mine had heat damage.

Ammoaddict, I'm going to tear it down. If there is any question about whether the cylinder can be saved I'm going the 390 route. If I can easily salvage the OEM Stihl cylinder I will stay with stock and get a quality piston and rings. If I go just the piston route what's a quality brand to look for there? I read a lot on here about Meteor brand or Kaber?

The meteor piston I bought came with Caber ring.

Back