Ms360/361 - Ms440/441

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oneoldbanjo

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have suddenly been converted from a casual woodcutter to a nearly full time after work/weekend woodcutting schedule for two reasons. First - we have just installed an outdoor wood burning furnace and will need firewood to keep the furnace running - although at this point it appears a wheelbarrow load a day will keep us nice and warm. I have been able to build up a good stockpile of wood that should last 3 years with my Stihl 029 and recently added a new 192T for cutting the smaller branches. Second - We have an electric line easement running through our property and towers only have wires mounted on one side of the towers. In the past the utility company has only maintained 50 feet of right of way on each side of the centerline - even though they own 75 feet on each side of the centerline. In the last few weeks a tree service has been on my property cleaning out the additional 25 feet on each side of the right of way. They may have cut as many as 100 trees down, chipped the brush and left the larger wood behind for me to cut. Most wood is a foot in diameter or less and so far my 029 has been adequate - however there have been some hickory logs that are nearly 3 feet in diameter and it would be nice to be able to get a chainsaw that can handle a 24" bar.

Looking at this site I have become interested in the MS360 and the newer MS361, and even the larger MS440 and MS441. My budget may allow me to sell the 029 and get either a new MS361 or a nice used MS440. I do have a few questions however. I have noticed an awful lot of MS 360 saws on eBay with scored cylinders - is this a bad design or are they just running these saws really hard and wearing them out. I have also seen that people really like the MS361 - but the MS441 seems to have been changed in a way that people are trying to get MS440's which are lighter.

Are the MS361 and MS440 saws so much nicer than the 029 that if I get one I will never be able to go back? My 029 seems to run and cut nicely - the only thing I really notice is that I can't cut real fast in large logs without slowing the saw down - once it slows down a little bit the torque really dies quickly and the saw bogs down. It is running well and very well maintained - it just needs a little more HP to cut quickly. I have already learned how to file my chains and keep them sharp while reading posts on this site - now I am ready to learn a little bit about the commercial Stihl saws.

I should mention that when I was young I worked at a lawnmower shop and use to work on chainsaws......and I may be one of the few people around that has had the pleasure of working on D35 Clintons.....and was able to go to the parts bins to get new replacement parts!!!!!

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Dave

Last edited:
If you want to run a 24" bar I'd go with 440/441 vs 361. However I personally would skip over the 440/441 and get a Domar 7900. (or 372XP or MS460 if you want to go with Husky or Stihl))

Seriously, 3ft Hickory, I think the min would be a 440!! I would be looking close at a 460 though!! Cutting three foot Hickory with a 24" bar will get old, FAST!!!!
And yes, if you have a Dolmar dealer, look at the 7900 as an option as well.

Seriously, 3ft Hickory, I think the min would be a 440!! I would be looking close at a 460 though!! Cutting three foot Hickory with a 24" bar will get old, FAST!!!!
And yes, if you have a Dolmar dealer, look at the 7900 as an option as well.

+1
Would even look at a MS660

3 foot Hickory routine or out of the ordinary?

If you will see this size hardwood routinely, they you will be liking a large saw.

As to the 029 vs 361... I own both, but I don't have a whole lot of time on either saw like some folks here do. What I can share is this:

The 361 is a lot smoother, and even when brand new, had a good bit more power. IF one was going to be cutting a lot of 'medium size' (like -16") wood, the 361 should be much more 'productive'... however like for the old/nasty/barbed-wire infested/long dead maple trunk I had to buck up the other day, I grabbed the 029 and a loop of factory 'safety' chain'. It's become my go-to saw for nasty wood.

If you can stand the cost, and the bit of extra weight, and are going to be messing with bigger wood, a 70cc+ pro saw is what I'd advise. Keep the 029 around for the little stuff, or the nasty stuff. The bigger saw will be even more productive than a 361.

Last edited:
I don't have any experience with the 360 or 361 but do have experience with the 044, 440 and the 441. Just bought a 441 a little over a month ago. My first choice would have been a 440 but they are getting harder and harder to find. I am a commercial tree service and had to have a large saw ASAP for a large job so I bought a 441 which is all that was in stock in my area. Believe me, I run a commercial operation and the 441 would be more than sufficient for anything you are talking about doing. However, I would opt for the used 440 if it is in good shape as you say. Save yourself a little doe, ray, me and have a fine saw that will handle anything you are talking about cutting. I like my 441 and there is virtually no perceptible difference in weight compared to the 440 but the 440 seems to get better RPM's, bogs less and just has that old Stihl feel to it. the 441 gets the job done very well with less vibration but just don't seem to get the RPM's the old Stihls get in IMHO.

oneoldbanjo, where are you in northern KY? Reason I ask is that there is going to be a GTG in Ohio on December 8th. I'm sure there will be a lot of members who would be willing to let you try the saws your looking at and you could make a better informed decision. I should be there and will have an 036, 044, MS460 and you would be more than welcome to try any of them. I don't want to speak for other members but I know a few Dolmar 7900's and a couple Husky 372's will be in attendance as well, all owned by great folks who may let you run them as well.

All of the opinions in the world wont tell you as much as a few real cuts with the saw in hand.

Thanks for everyone's input. I have only had one 36" hickory to cut so far in 13 years of living here. The tree was rotten about 80 feet up and the top blew out in a windstorm and got stuck in a tree on my neighbors property directly over where his horses stand to get out of the sun. I had a professional come and drop the tree and get it unstuck - then I cut it up when it was on the ground. The tree was a Shagbark hickory and I was amazed how hard the wood was and how tough the bark was. My saw was able to cut it - but it was a little slow on the main trunk where my 18" bar just barely got through to the middle.

Most of the wood that I need to cut with the 029 is 18" - 24" and rarely bigger. Locust, Ash and Maple are the dominent wood species on my farm.

Dave

oneoldbanjo, where are you in northern KY? Reason I ask is that there is going to be a GTG in Ohio on December 8th. I'm sure there will be a lot of members who would be willing to let you try the saws your looking at and you could make a better informed decision. I should be there and will have an 036, 044, MS460 and you would be more than welcome to try any of them. I don't want to speak for other members but I know a few Dolmar 7900's and a couple Husky 372's will be in attendance as well, all owned by great folks who may let you run them as well.

All of the opinions in the world wont tell you as much as a few real cuts with the saw in hand.

All those saws? Man, you guys are going to ruin him:hmm3grin2orange:

That is a offer I would jump on in a second, I too have met some great people on this site:clap:

I will have my 7900

It is pretty stock and well broken in. I will have a 20, 24 and a 36 setup for it..
welcome to run it

Ohio GTG

Hey guys,
when/where is the GTG in OH??? Not sure if I can get the time, but a day or 2 off for some sawin' would be kinda cool...

:cheers: eh?

Even though some don't agree...

... I personally believe that when it comes to firewooding, there is no replacement, for displacement. PERIOD.

If you want production, if you want speed, if you want to have FUN while cutting, get the biggest saw you can handle.

There's no problem in the 036/360 design... the reason you see so many with cooked cylinders is that Ebay is the dumping ground for such things..

Even though some don't agree...

... I personally believe that when it comes to firewooding, there is no replacement, for displacement. PERIOD.

If you want production, if you want speed, if you want to have FUN while cutting, get the biggest saw you can handle.

Yep, you are right. If the log (24"+) is on the ground, for firewood, out comes the Walkerized 395 XP. The 2171 gets a rest.

Latest posts

Back