ms361 L screw all the way in?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sounds like your saw had a hard life before you got it.

i think the muffler cover on the 361 is welded to the rear half... to keep us from monkeying with it.

to be fair, though it has low hours, the saw isn't new.

the pressure/vac test is on my mind.

i think mr. hall did a fine job. when i got it back it ran fine. i'm sure this problem is unrelated to what he did.

Oh, It has had a hard life, but so has the 260s,360s, and 460s we have at the tree company I work for in the summer and they are holding up better. Tree companies see saws more as tools and not toys. So reliability and a solid design is key.

On the muffler, I was talking about little plugs that cover the holes for the muffler bolts. It would be a lot better if this saw had a muffler similar to the other pro stihl saws, excluding the 088 muffler.

Your saw has under 20 tanks, that is practically new considering this saw will run a thousand hours or more with proper maintenance.

I guess you didn't understand I was joking when I mentioned THALL. I have never met the man, but can guarantee he doesn't let saws leave his shop without being 100%.

You need to pressure test the saw and the carb. Otherwise, you will just be guessing.

not referencing any particular post...So much BS and mother-in-law info ....

If your 361 isn't working right at roughly 1 turn out L and H, find out why... DON'T adjust the carb to overcome another issue.

It's a conventional saw and conventional carb.. no magic or trickery.... and consequently no "361 specifc" issues.

Last edited:
Your saw has under 20 tanks, that is practically new considering this saw will run a thousand hours or more with proper maintenance.

You need to pressure test the saw and the carb. Otherwise, you will just be guessing.

....make that 2-3000 hours... We have saws in the local timber yards with rediculously high and hard hours, slappy pistons, look like crap all over, and still work great.

and +1000 on the P&V test..

Last edited:
If you have a Philly run planned, bring it with you. We'll swap in a new carb and elimate the other possiblities.

BTW, your part went in the mail today. Sorry for the delay.

Pressure testing a carb honestly doesn't tell you much. As I told you, I do not even bother rebuilding carbs (atleast on a saw by saw basis, I stock pile them the do 20 or so at one time). Best is to replace with a known good carb it either fixes the problem or doesnt. For a homeowner that can be a difficult thing, but a quick stop by the shop can solve that problem :)

Because Im tired of carb problems with this saw. So if they are the same HD series carb, then I could swap the linkages and top of the carb, and runn my 044 carb on my 361?

When my 361 carb was messed up it really, really pised me off. There is thread here somewhere to prove it. I still owe lots of thanks to the many AS members that had the patience to talk me through it.
When I did crack down and buy a new carb everything changed. The skies cleared and I could finally see the saw for what it really was, a great piece of equipment that had a simple problem.

When my 361 carb was messed up it really, really pised me off. There is thread here somewhere to prove it. I still owe lots of thanks to the many AS members that had the patience to talk me through it.
When I did crack down and buy a new carb everything changed. The skies cleared and I could finally see the saw for what it really was, a great piece of equipment that had a simple problem.

My first 361 ran (and still runs) like a champ. But my cousin wanted one really bad, and i happened to come across another in better cosmetic shape for a good price, so I sold one, bought another. This one is having carb problems. It has to be the carb because I already replaced the impulse line, fuel line and filter, and it passed a pressure vac test. It held vac .5 bar overnight, lost nothing. Plus its mainly the idle circuit, I think a different carb will do it.

thanks lake, bowtie, paul, and all others.
p/v test and then scratch my head some more.
i may have to visit some folks in philly area soon.:)

If you don't need to make a run up here anytime soon...perhaps a carb could make the trip down to you. I do not have a problem sending you one to try out (I've got the CC# on file :) ).

Because Im tired of carb problems with this saw. So if they are the same HD series carb, then I could swap the linkages and top of the carb, and runn my 044 carb on my 361?

Series doesn't mean linkages swap... but why.... it won't run better and you'll need to rejet it anyhow. Just stay with the 361 version...

In any case, you're not even sure it is your carb...

Series doesn't mean linkages swap... but why.... it won't run better and you'll need to rejet it anyhow. Just stay with the 361 version...

True. i plan to stick with a 361 carb. I was, however, curious as to if an 044 carb would fit easily. I dont know what else it could be but the carb. the only step left to test is the step you suggested, try with a known good carb. Its on the way.

lake,
i know that was directed at bowtie but....
is there anything else that comes to mind about this problem? anything specific i need to look at assuming it passes pressure and vac? you know, one of those silly things that show up occasionally on low use saws?

i guess you remember the history of the saw.
if not, at least, bear in mind that i have cut 9-10 cord in the last 15 months.....
but with 6 saws.
thanks for your help.:)

Andy, Please explain....

I know you get tired of the pesky questions. But-If the saw had an air leak, woudn't it affect the High side WOT just as much? I just equated a cylinder gasket/carb boot/impulse leak would cause the saw to scream at WOT because of the extra air leaning it out.

I know you get tired of the pesky questions. But-If the saw had an air leak, woudn't it affect the High side WOT just as much? I just equated a cylinder gasket/carb boot/impulse leak would cause the saw to scream at WOT because of the extra air leaning it out.

No.... an airleak that is small affects idle much more... It's just a matter of flow ratios

hall-o anybody here?

where's my buddy mr. hall?
i want another opinion before i start tearing down his baby.:)

anyone: i know what to do if it fails the press/vac test. what do i do next if it passes?:confused:

where's my buddy mr. hall?
i want another opinion before i start tearing down his baby.:)

anyone: i know what to do if it fails the press/vac test. what do i do next if it passes?:confused:

Wait for the mail man?

Latest posts

Back