MS361 muffler and bar questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DieselTech

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hey all. I was putting the saw up this evening and found a small screen looking piece sticking out of a slot on the top right of my 361's muffler. It's about 3/4-1" wide, and maybe an inch and a half long. Looks like it's supposed to be secured in the muffler by a screw or a rivet, there's a tab that lays flat on the muffler with a hole in it. I'm not terribly familiar with two stroke engines, but I know the exhaust is a big deal. Can I repair this by simply putting in a small sheet metal screw to hold the screen in place, or what would the best repair be? Hopefully not a new muffler.

Second, while inspecting the saw I found some wear along the bottom of the bar. The outer edges of the bar are worn down, and there's a bit of a lip along them. Is this normal weal, or do I need to pick up a new bar? What would the best replacement be? I've been using the original, a Stihl RollOMatic E, I think.

Thanks!

that screen is the spark arrestor,, it is held in place with a metal screw,,,
i use a round file to file the lips off the edges,, just make sure not to gouge the rail itself. it is a good idea to flip the bar once in a while to give it even wear on both sides. i flip mine every time i put a sharp chain on

basically what he said. the screen is a spark arrestor. you can take it out, but NOT if you are under osha or cutting in any kind of national forest, preservation, basically anywhere that people dont want to catch on fire. removing the screen will not effect the performance of the saw.

normal wear on the bar. a flat file is easier than round if you have one, harder to gouge. just smooth er back down good. i do them on a bench grinder at work, if you have a steady hand. and flip the bar like he said. good practice.

Latest posts

Back