MS361 muffler caps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starter

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I got a question. It might be stupid, but hey, can't get an answer unless you ask so here goes:

When I bought my MS361 it came with two "caps" in the muffler openings. There was no mention of them in the owner's manual (didn't show them in any pics of the muffler in the manual either) so I figured they were for protection during shipping, not required for running, and so took them out. I meant to post this question way back but forgot about it until now. Only remembered because I found them in a tool box drawer while cleaning up recently.

What are they for, do I need them, have I damaged by saw by running it without them?

Last edited:
Epa?

I think that they are there to discourage you from removing the muffler and making modifications. The caps are just held in by spring force. Pop them out, snap them back in. They might also keep junk from getting in there so when you want to take the bolts out the holes aren't full of stuff.

They're to keep crap from accumulating in there. If it does you could have a hard time removing the screws that hold the muffler on should you ever need to remove it. I would put them back if I were you.

Thanks folks!

When I first got the saw I did run it with and without them to test, didn't feel any noticeable performance difference, and so left them out.

I'll pop them back in to keep the crap out but if it quiets the saw at all they're coming out LOL

Back