MS361 Question - is this normal?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
amusing at best..., but... :censored:

Andy Ya gotta remember,,,, He's set in his way's and there aint no changing him,,,, besides Its only worse now,,,, Hes gotta busted leg thats just mendin,,, its getting dark up there and he dont need to be walkin around in tha dark with a nose heavy Chainsaw !!!!! Of all things :givebeer: :greenchainsaw: :monkey: :cheers:

Nothing really!
if you want I can run out and take a pic of mine to show you what they should look like........mounted to the saw! :monkey:

I bet that would hurt!!!!!!:dizzy:

Last edited:
Seee?

Two-Nuts.jpg

Two nuts, each of which is on a stud!

What the heck didja think I was talkin about?

Andy Ya gotta remember,,,, He's set in his way's and there aint no changing him,,,, besides Its only worse now,,,, Hes gotta busted leg thats just mendin,,, its getting dark up there and he dont need to be walkin around in tha dark with a nose heavy Chainsaw !!!!! Of all things :givebeer: :greenchainsaw: :monkey: :cheers:

Heck, with a longer bar he could use it as a walking stick.

It's O.K. Trolll.,., the sun will rise in a couple of months. damn, that must suck.:greenchainsaw:

Uhm....:heart: ---no, no I mean that's :censored: gross!

all kidding aside,,, dont run your saw like that any more... take your saw with you,,, that nut is what holds the carb tight against the intake boot,,, it could cause it to run very lean,,,,, did it seem like it was idling kinda fast,,,, if youve been running it that way very long or dont know how long it s been missing ya might want to pull the muffler and lets have a peek!!!!!

I'm very serious,,,,,

Did lake already cover this?????

all kidding aside,,, dont run your saw like that any more... take your saw with you,,, that nut is what holds the carb tight against the intake boot,,, it could cause it to run very lean,,,,, did it seem like it was idling kinda fast,,,, if youve been running it that way very long or dont know how long it s been missing ya might want to pull the muffler and lets have a peek!!!!!

I'm very serious,,,,,

Did lake already cover this?????

It seems to run fine, and the only thing I have done is cut a couple of cookies- no more than a few minutes of run time.

It seems to idle just fine, but I will keep it idle (the other kind) until I get the nut put on.

I guess it is only fitting, as I gave my left nut to get the saw :cheers:

Last edited:
It seems to run fine, and the only thing I have done is cut a couple of cookies- no more than a few minutes of run time.

It seems to idle just fine, but I will keep it idle (the other kind) until I get the nut put on.

I guess it is only fitting, as I gave my left nut to get the saw :cheers:

That is good that is was idling normal, (The chain wasn't running,, Right)

did you look around on your bench for the nut it may have fallen out when you pulled the airfilter off!!!!!!!!!!

If its that new I would stihl take it back to the dealer,,, and have them install it,,,, they may want to look @ it,,,, if it went out of our shop and came back like that We would want to look @ it,,,,,, Pretty normal though for new saws to be just pulled out of the box, bar installed, fueled, oiled, and cranked,,, then put through its paces if it does eveything,,, idles, chainbrake check mid throttle run a couple of WOT mini burst,,,and retuns to normal idle,,, sticker applied,,, finish the paperwork & it's out the door!!! :cheers:

Last edited:
That is good that is was idling normal, (The chain wasn't running,, Right)

did you look around on your bench for the nut it may have fallen out when you pulle d the airfilter off!!!!!!!!!!

If its that new I would stihl take it back to the dealer,,, and have them install it,,,, they may want to look @ it,,,, if it went out of our shop and came back like that We would want to look @ it,,,,,, Pretty normal though for new saws to be just pulled out of the box, bar installed, fueled, oiled, and cranked,,, then put through its paces if it does eveything,,, idles, chainbrake check mid throttle run a couple of WOT mini burst,,,and retuns to normal idle,,, sticker applied,,, finish the paperwork & it's out the door!!! :cheers:

Did not see or hear it fall out when I took the filter off, and I was pretty careful when I removed it.

Chain does not move at idle - drops to idle quickly.

I will run it by the dealer on Monday to show them. I can leave it there and have them take a look too.

Did not see or hear it fall out when I took the filter off, and I was pretty careful when I removed it.

Chain does not move at idle - drops to idle quickly.

I will run it by the dealer on Monday to show them. I can leave it there and have them take a look too.

They may not want to but @ least this way they will know about it,,, and if they choose to thats OK too,,,, its probably fine,,, but this way it protects you,,,

Keep us posted,,,, they are cool saws,,, I really like mine in 18" and under stuff!!!!!! I run a 20" or 18" bar with 8 pin sprocket in hard wood and a 24 in pine,,,,,

Crank it up.... with the special muffler. More rpm = more hp..:greenchainsaw:

Well, it runs the a$$ off the 5100 etc, even with the stock muffler - accelleration is just unsurpassed - but what is the max tolerated free rpms with a modded muffler?

My guess is about 14500, but it sure can go higher......

Last edited:
I can't imagine anything got hurt either, but I am glad I found it now - not after smoking it!! I will start the thinning project on my dad's 20 acre property this spring, and I bet it would have died :mad:

I will pull the muffler tomorrow to look for myself and then drop it by the shop on Monday to let them know about the issue.

John

Well, it runs the a$$ off the 5100 etc, even with the stock muffler - accelleration is just unsurpassed - but what is the max tolerated free rpms with a modded muffler?

My guess is about 14500, but it sure can go higher......

WOT The free rev is pretty high... With the modded muffler you'll have to decide the limit... I set mine around 14-14,500 (it will vary daily) but have tried it as high as 15k and it wanted more... but I'm not going there on a work saw.

4 stroke burble, timed cuts, all the usual stuff... and err on the rich side.

Last edited:
Well, popped off the muffler today - here are a couple pics.

Small scratch above the top ring -

dome.JPG

Nothing between the rings -

dome2.JPG

Skirt appears to be fine -

skirt.JPG

What do you think?

Meaning...

No damage done?

or

Small amount of damage and should be dealt with by the dealer?

Latest posts

Back