ms361 used or ms290 farm boss new?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IllinoisJim

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Ran across a ms361 that looks to have been used a fair amount just judging from the pics and bar wear - not terrible though. Haven't looked at in in person yet. They are asking $400 obo. They claim its too big for them which makes me think they are just reselling it.

I am not a professional but own some land and cut about 5 cords of firewood a year, clear land, etc. Either saw would do the job but the 361 is a little lighter and quite a bit better saw from what I have read.

What's involved in taking off the muffler to view the piston and cylinder? Is this just two bolts? Hex or allen head? I have a Husqvarna now so am unfamilar with Stihls. Want to have the right tools when I look at it.

Leaning toward the 361 if he will come down but it's still about the price for a new 290. A little leary about getting a dog... Advice?

Just got something back saying he has had it for 2 years...

Last edited:
Get the new 290...It'll do everything you need.You'll hear a lot of talk on here about PRO saws,but the 290 is a homeowner series saw and when maintained it will last just as long as a PRO saw.Most people cutting their own firewood don't need a PRO series saw.Why pay all that extra $$$ when a 290 will do the job?

You kind of sound like me a recreational user. Anything over a 290 is overkill but after reading this board for a time you really need a Stihl 660 :tongue2: I would go for the 361 it is a better all around saw but the 290 will work just as well and being new will come with a warranty. That might be important if you do not work on your own saws.

Brian

Buy the NEW MS290 with 1 year warranty.
Buy a 6-pack of Stihl synthetic oil and double warranty to TWO years for FREE..!!
:cheers:
J2F

Buy a 6-pack of Stihl synthetic oil and double warranty to TWO years..!!
J2F

To a consumer Husky gives a 2 year warranty whether you use their snake oil or not :msp_w00t:
Sorry, had to.

Buy a 6-pack of Stihl synthetic oil and double warranty to TWO years for FREE..!!
J2F

DING! We have a winner. No way to know how hard the used saws been run, how poorly maintained, or what underlying issues may be in the mix down the road. As a fellow fire wood cutter, I have a 029 Super (Same as the 290) and it handles anything I need it to without issues. Plus it's a good work out lugging it around all day lol.

J2F

^This. I love my 290. It does everything I've asked it to do without any mods. I like a lighter saw if I will be doing alot of limbing, but I have no complaints. I bought mine new, and 6 years later it's still going strong without having to replace anything except 1 chain.

If you shop around, you could probably get a husky 346xp for around $450. Nice saw and it comes with a warrantee.

I'd go check out the 361. If its in good shape and doesn't look abused it would be a better all around saw than the 290, IMHO.

A well used 361 or a new 290. I'd be looking for better choices.

Such as? And why? I posted to get feedback and learn but that doesn't tell me much.

I would like to get something a bit better - ideally able to run a 24" bar for the occaisional bigger stuff. And something with a few more cc would be good too. Compared to the ms290 the Husky 460 looks like a step up. What are other options that keep the cost close to the $500 mark? All the different models are hard to sort out.

You just answered your own question as to what saw to buy. The 361 will, on occasion, handle a 24" bar/chain, especially skip chain set-up. Sure it's not a 70cc saw but you didn't state that. Unless.....for $500 you could find a good used Stihl 440 or Husky 372, buy a 20" and a 24" bar/chain combo and never look back.

I wouldn't ask a 290 to handle a 24" bar/chain. Good saw but not equal to a 361.

Don't pre-judge the 361 based on appearances.

I bought a MS361 at a pawn shop, & on the receipt they noted "very used." Yes, the side covers had a fair amount of paint loss. Under the covers, however, the plasic had no discoloration, no nicks or dings, very little grunge, and the p&c were pristine looking through the exhaust port. My guess is the saw got bounced around in a truck, but did very little actual cutting. To top off the deal the it had a like-new 25" ES bar with a like-new skip chain.

Ask the seller if he is the original owner. Personally I would not pay $400.00 for a used 361 unless it was at least an 8 out of 10 in condition. If it was purchased 2 years ago and is beat it still is not worth $400.00.

You cannot throw a rock anymore without hitting somebody that is trying to flip chainsaws and there is no need to help them at a cost to yourself. Bare that in mind when you get price advice for used saws from this forum.

If you believe that the person is being straight with you then spend some money.

If you want a warranty buy a new saw.

]Just so you know, not a whole lot of people seem willing to let some one they do not know pull mufflers, etc.. The saw should start and operate as it should from cold. Run it long enough to get it good and warm, flip it on both sides and tilt it bar down. All while idling, warm, WOT in each position as well.

Last edited:
i would want the MS361. The price is to high for its unknown condition however, so offer them $200 for it. I'm rootin for ya. :clap:

Back