MS440 - Brand new in sealed box! It's here!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The saw sounds good like that. I might get mine fired up next weekend. I have to work this one.:cry:

Nik did a popup this evening on the 460 topend that's on my MS440. This is by far the most successful popup we've done. Not only that, it was the most difficult. The combustion chamber is offset and irregularly shaped. Also, I trimmed the intake skirt nearly .070" when I ported it. Let it suffice to say, that it was not a simple job. Of course, Nik did an outstanding job. Thanks Nik! We started at 168 PSI, and now it's about 193. I wouldn't want any more! I'm tickled pink. This thing turns insane RPMs too. I saw 16,500 for a split second while tuning it. I usually peak it out for a split second and then richen it back up. In that short of time I saw it hit 16,500. I've not got it fattened back up to 15,500 where it's actually quite rich without a hint of 2-stroking. You should have seen Andre's face, lol. He was holding it while I tuned it and was scared the thing was going to explode in his hands:)

1144181269_uiQWS-M.jpg

BTW, the popup is .040" tall.

1144181418_VMqYZ-M.jpg

Ha! Cool job Brad.

I was rooting through a closet a few weeks ago and uncovered a NIB MS260 Pro from a year ago, and a NOS (new on shelf) MS 440 from back in '07(?) when they quit making them. I 'should have' got a NIB 361, but that didn't happen in time.

I need a 660 to top that off... I almost bought one Friday, but fought off the urge somehow... We're needing another rifle scope & LT104 mount, approx same cost as a 660, so I had to self-examine the toy priorities... so far it's a draw. :dizzy:

popup pistion

Nik did a popup this evening on the 460 topend that's on my MS440. This is by far the most successful popup we've done. Not only that, it was the most difficult. The combustion chamber is offset and irregularly shaped. Also, I trimmed the intake skirt nearly .070" when I ported it. Let it suffice to say, that it was not a simple job. Of course, Nik did an outstanding job. Thanks Nik! We started at 168 PSI, and now it's about 193. I wouldn't want any more! I'm tickled pink. This thing turns insane RPMs too. I saw 16,500 for a split second while tuning it. I usually peak it out for a split second and then richen it back up. In that short of time I saw it hit 16,500. I've not got it fattened back up to 15,500 where it's actually quite rich without a hint of 2-stroking. You should have seen Andre's face, lol. He was holding it while I tuned it and was scared the thing was going to explode in his hands:)

1144181269_uiQWS-M.jpg

BTW, the popup is .040" tall.

1144181418_VMqYZ-M.jpg

i was just wondering what you used for a pistion? was it the pistion out of your 046 or did you step up to a 064 pistion? i am on the long road to rebuilding a 044 and i am thinking about going along the same lines as you did.

I didn't read the whole thread, but is there a particular reason why you wanted this over the readily available 441?

i was just wondering what you used for a pistion? was it the pistion out of your 046 or did you step up to a 064 pistion? i am on the long road to rebuilding a 044 and i am thinking about going along the same lines as you did.
It's a Mahle 460 piston and cylinder.

I didn't read the whole thread, but is there a particular reason why you wanted this over the readily available 441?
I have a modded 441 as well. The 440/460 is not only stronger, but lighter as well. This is my favorite saw of all. The 441 is smoother and probably better on fuel, but I prefer the 440.

how long till we see the video where it is in pieces,cause it blew up? they may run fast,but in real world application,they don't last...........

Nice saw. Basically its a 52mm cyl and piston instead of the stock 50? Also is a popup a modification to the piston or combustion chamber?

Just looking at 440 stuff and found this thread damn you lucky mofo! Im pissed now I didnt get to open my 361 from the box that looks like half the fun. I see now the dealer takes away half the fun opening it up and starting it up for the first time :(. Next new saw I buy is going to be nib unopened still sealed. I also agree with who needs a freaking warranty :msp_thumbup:.

Back