MS440 scored piston

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sportfury70

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So I got a real good deal on at MS440 that runs good but has a possible fuel metering issue.

This morning the guy sent me this pic and asked if I wanted to back out (good guy!)

Doesn’t look too bad to me, and the saw seems to run fine, but I’d like your opinion too.

Either way I paid him and he’s gonna ship it to me. Tor $150 I think it’s still a good deal even if I have to find a new slug.

The plan is to get this thing up to snuff and then find an 056 Mag to trade for.

What do you guys think?

Attachments

• 71834FC4-AB5E-41B3-AA7C-A4CDFF31B181.jpeg
    71834FC4-AB5E-41B3-AA7C-A4CDFF31B181.jpeg
    917.3 KB · Views: 2
Five years ago I bought one of these from Lone Wolf after he saved it. Then I immediately resold it for the same price to a tree service company. They have tried to beat it to death but have failed so far. One time a climber dropped it from 40' up and the log landed on it after the saw hit the ground. Somehow the case remained intact, and I replaced several parts, including the tank housing, outer handle, chain brake, etc. It still runs today with a 30" bar on board.

For the money, not a bad deal.
Do a p/v test, before you break it down.
Pull cylinder after and clean it up.
Clean piston, throw on a set of rings.
Put a carb kit in, impulse line, fuel line and filter.
Do mm and tune it in.
You'll end up keeping it...
Exactly my plan. Selling a 271 I saved to fund it. Local guys really like that farm boss sticker, so it should move quick.

I’ll pull the piston and see how it looks. Not bad from the exhaust port, but who knows how bad it really is. I’ll be asking for a good used one here if I decide to swap it.

Five years ago I bought one of these from Lone Wolf after he saved it. Then I immediately resold it for the same price to a tree service company. They have tried to beat it to death but have failed so far. One time a climber dropped it from 40' up and the log landed on it after the saw hit the ground. Somehow the case remained intact, and I replaced several parts, including the tank housing, outer handle, chain brake, etc. It still runs today with a 30" bar on board.
I know I’m gonna want to keep it, but the pull to do a full resto on an 056 mag is strong.

We will see, for the money on a running saw I couldn’t pass it up. Should get here OOA the 14th. He just sent me the tracking number.

I know I’m gonna want to keep it, but the pull to do a full resto on an 056 mag is strong.

We will see, for the money on a running saw I couldn’t pass it up. Should get here OOA the 14th. He just sent me the tracking number.
Have you run an 056? They're pretty good saws but them sumbishes are pretty heavy. For day to day stuff that isn't 32"+ I'd much rather run a 440 instead of an 056.

Have you run an 056? They're pretty good saws but them sumbishes are pretty heavy. For day to day stuff that isn't 32"+ I'd much rather run a 440 instead of an 056.
I simply don’t need a saw over 50cc. I don’t heat with wood anymore, and my property is pretty well cleared out of large growth. There’s really no cutting I’ll need to do that my 026 can’t handle. I sold my BB ported makita/dolmar to a buddy that actually works it, and now just tinker with saws strictly as a hobby.

I’m 6’4, 240 lbs and hit the gym regularly as an ex power lifter. Not worried about the weight of the 056, just love the look, feel, and sound of old iron like that. I’ll make it look brand new and cut cookies with it occasionally until till I find my next model to obsess over, like an 066 or 125 mac or something. Besides, my minty 031 needs its big brother.

Who know, I might fall in love with the 440 amd hold onto it like the 026. But for now it’s just an opportunity to use as a stepping stone to one of my holy grail saws.

So I got a real good deal on at MS440 that runs good but has a possible fuel metering issue.

This morning the guy sent me this pic and asked if I wanted to back out (good guy!)

Doesn’t look too bad to me, and the saw seems to run fine, but I’d like your opinion too.

Either way I paid him and he’s gonna ship it to me. Tor $150 I think it’s still a good deal even if I have to find a new slug.

The plan is to get this thing up to snuff and then find an 056 Mag to trade for.

What do you guys think?
I might thin some of my parts out. Have 2 056M that are complete, and some parts carcasses.

One of the complete ones is well used/worn, but needs a coil job (bosch), ran until it warms up. The other complete one is nicer and needs oil pump work, I might have those parts.

Also 2-3 parts carcasses, I don't think those are mags?

Not looking for trades, cash is short now, but if interested I can try to take some pictures when I have time to dig them out.

I am in S Vt and/or W. Ma. Not too far away, do you travel my way at all?

I might thin some of my parts out. Have 2 056M that are complete, and some parts carcasses.

One of the complete ones is well used/worn, but needs a coil job (bosch), ran until it warms up. The other complete one is nicer and needs oil pump work, I might have those parts.

Also 2-3 parts carcasses, I don't think those are mags?

Not looking for trades, cash is short now, but if interested I can try to take some pictures when I have time to dig them out.

I am in S Vt and/or W. Ma. Not too far away, do you travel my way at all?
I’m definitely interested, but like you my cash is short. Once I get this thing clean and ready to sell, I’ll be reaching out. Maybe before then if $ comes available.

I do travel that way sometimes, so I’m sure we could figure out a way to meet if needed. I’m in Southern NH.

If you manage to get pics, pm them to me!

I’m definitely interested, but like you my cash is short. Once I get this thing clean and ready to sell, I’ll be reaching out. Maybe before then if $ comes available.

I do travel that way sometimes, so I’m sure we could figure out a way to meet if needed. I’m in Southern NH.

If you manage to get pics, pm them to me!
Will do.

Will take a bit as they are buried in the barn.

Gotta watch those 056 Bosch ignitions, they often fail
Similar issue with the 031s? Mine had points that was converted to electronic long ago, but still had the points flywheel. Was hell to diagnose, but got it running with an Oregon chip once I figured out how to time the flywheel.

So I finally got home and the saw was waiting for me. The seller runs a saw mill down in SC, and seems like a really great guy.

I put a little 40:1 in it, gave it 3 pulls on the choke and it popped. I flicked the lever up one and pulled once and it fired, ran great, and idled fine!

I see no evidence of over fueling or flooding, but I’ll tear it down anyway to get a close look at the p&c.

So far I’m off to a great start!

Latest posts

Back