MS440 vs MS440 Magnum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeT

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
As per title - what is the difference ?
Both is listed as 70.7 cc ..........

The 044 Mags from the early 90s ran like no other small saw I have ran before. I was told it was because the combustion chambers were smaller and the carbs were a little diff.
I wish I could get my hands on a few.

As per title - what is the difference ?
Both is listed as 70.7 cc ..........

The only diff is one has had the "Magnum" sticker peeled off the top cover. I believe all MS440's are listed as Magnums, so the only way to get one that doesn't say it on top, is to peel it.

The 044 Mags from the early 90s ran like no other small saw I have ran before. I was told it was because the combustion chambers were smaller and the carbs were a little diff.
I wish I could get my hands on a few.

Hmmmm, I believe the 044s from before about 1990 were rated at .2 kw less than the newer ones, and the 440.......:confused:

Hmmmm, I believe the 044s from before about 1990 were rated at .2 kw less than the newer ones, and the 440.......:confused:

Yeah, I don't know much about the logistics of the two being comparable - but side-by-side an old one will beat a new one. It's been done and I have witnessed it as well as run em' both.
As to why - really can't answer that.

Hmmm... The later is definitely more powerful... and has much better transfer ports and smaller squish... and better breathing via the carb box.. and the old version has a 10mm wrist pin.

My muffler modded 361 will take on the very old stock 044 any day.
:popcorn:

Hmmm... The later is definitely more powerful... and has much better transfer ports and smaller squish... and better breathing via the carb box.. and the old version has a 10mm wrist pin.

My muffler modded 361 will take on the very old stock 044 any day.
:popcorn:

Shoot, I dunno - maybe it was the mod job. I was most certainly under the impression that the old ones were better, period.
You would for sure know more about it than I would.

When you say that two saws like the ms440 are the same saw - I'm curious.
I have a ms440 magnum and it has a factory handle label that states 71cc.
I see the specs every where that the ms440 is a 70.7cc saw.

The specs everywhere says the 036 is a 61cc saw.
But, I have two 036's with different cc's.
An 036 (94?) that is labeled 62cc on the factory handle label
- and and new old stock 1996 036 pro that is labeled 61cc on the factory handle label.
These two 036's have a different power in my judgement from cutting with the 62cc being more powerful.

different cubic inches in both the models, ms440 and the 036

Wouldn't you want to describe these as different models?
Can you just change the carb and state it has different cubic inches?

044 and 440 have always been 70.7. They just started rounding the cc on some of the tags.

Latest posts

Back