Ms440

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taddat

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Few questions - Can I re-use the base gasket? I ordered new rings but I forgot to order a new gasket - A new gasket is not expensive, but will not be here for another 3 days.

Also - Do the 4 cylinder bolts need to be torqued to specific specs (and if so, how many in. lbs?).

Thanks in advance for the help!

if you dont want to wait for the base gasket, use threebond, it will also up you compression( removing the thickness of the gasket )
the bolt surely have a torque spec and patern, i would say the patren should be in an x formation.
good luck

A new gasket is best. if the old gasket is in good shape, put it bacl on the same way it came off and use a very thin smear of good quality gasket maker on both side.

yes, torque the bolts... 8.5 to 9 foot lbs.

Ugh!

I went to pick up my piston rings I ordered a few days ago and the package only contained one ring - - $26.95 for one ring? The guy at the parts counter thought it was a bit high also and of course - he only had the one ring. I am all for using oem parts but $54 for two rings sounds high. My question is do I suck it up pay the money? - If they are worth it, I'll pay it or do I pick up some aftermarket rings and save a few bucks? I don’t want to sound like I’m trying to be cheap; I just don’t know any better . . .

Also – Any thoughts on what would cause the minor scoring on the piston (no transfer to the cylinder that I could feel). I’m learning as I go and I don’t want to miss anything obvious. It’s a used saw with an unknown history. My guess is either the bad gas it had in it or the very dirty air filter and general lack of maintenance. Let me know if I’m way off on my guess and / or should be looking into a different cause.

Again – thanks for all of the help.

Back