ms441 crankcase full of gas

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stihl041avhog

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Got a ms441 with a no spark issue. I fixed that by installing a new coil. I ran the saw for a few minutes , no bar and chain. Gave it to the customer thought all is good. Came back with a broken pull rope and a crankcase full of fuel. How does that happen. I'm sure the needle got stuck open by trash but why did it flood the case. I have seen a many of float carbs on lawnmowers do that. I'm going to clean the carb and install a new kit. Question will it hurt the bearings in the bottom end. I fill it with some cheap 2cyl oil and let it sit for a day and then drained that. Any pointers before starting it. He did say he pulled about twenty times before the rope broke.PS the bg55 is going into the fire pit if the fuel line checks good.

Got a ms441 with a no spark issue. I fixed that by installing a new coil. I ran the saw for a few minutes , no bar and chain. Gave it to the customer thought all is good. Came back with a broken pull rope and a crankcase full of fuel. How does that happen. I'm sure the needle got stuck open by trash but why did it flood the case. I have seen a many of float carbs on lawnmowers do that. I'm going to clean the carb and install a new kit. Question will it hurt the bearings in the bottom end. I fill it with some cheap 2cyl oil and let it sit for a day and then drained that. Any pointers before starting it. He did say he pulled about twenty times before the rope broke.PS the bg55 is going into the fire pit if the fuel line checks good.
The saw work corectly in your hands , but the customer who take the saw come back and say ooohhh hello the saw have problem ? now fix the saw its not nothing and call back the customer and put him to start the saw in front of your eyes then tell him also to cut some woods , give to him paper wich say that he take the saw in good contition tell him to sigh , and tell him happy new year.
Maybe the needle stuck and the crancase flooded and this is the reason , but a brokem rope .......................

He brought it back holding the saw by the rope, said this is not right. I tried it once and said its not right. took plug out and got a face full of fuel. I can fix that but will it hurt the brgs being full of gas. where is mister T when you need him LOL

He brought it back holding the saw by the rope, said this is not right. I tried it once and said its not right. took plug out and got a face full of fuel. I can fix that but will it hurt the brgs being full of gas. where is mister T when you need him LOL
before the christmas holidays a smart bring me a saw for checking and repair , ehh dude look the saw and if need something fix it. the saw dont have nothing after all the test i make to it. the next day come and take the saw. after a week he come back with the same saw, the saw now have carb leaks , seal leaks cylinder gasket leaks. oohh you dont do nothing shame to you . yes mister but this saw its not the same , why?
i make some marks in the first saw, in the carb and in the crankcase. he put his head in his ass

It's possible he flooded the living snot out of it. I had a MS250 come in the same way the other day. The guy admitted to pulling on it with the choke on for an excess of 200 pulls. It was FULL of gas inside. I honestly didn't think you could possibly pump that much gas into a saw that way, but the carburetor was fine. He got a new lesson on starting the saw and it hasn't been back.

It's possible he flooded the living snot out of it. I had a MS250 come in the same way the other day. The guy admitted to pulling on it with the choke on for an excess of 200 pulls. It was FULL of gas inside. I honestly didn't think you could possibly pump that much gas into a saw that way, but the carburetor was fine. He got a new lesson on starting the saw and it hasn't been back.
I had a hunch it was possible, but having Doug put some actual fact behind my theory, feels good. I'm not gonna lie :)

I had a hunch it was possible, but having Doug put some actual fact behind my theory, feels good. I'm not gonna lie :)
Honestly, without being able to measure how much fuel goes into a cylinder with each pull, I still have my doubts. I did pour fuel out of the muffler after I removed it, it was that bad.

One thing to remember, though, is that even a stuck needle will only flow so much fuel into a cylinder. Once the pressure within the tank normalizes, no more fuel will flow into the cylinder. (unless the saw is on it's side)

Latest posts

Back