Ms441 disappointment or is it just me

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WildBIll1225

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have had a ms 441 non m tronic for about 6 months and have been disappointed with it performance . It loses power in the cut very easy running a 24" b&c It will cut like a rape ape then it will just lose chain speed and bog down. It replaced a 266xp which felt like it cut better then this saw. Is it my technique with the newer saw or is it a possible problem?

Something is wrong with your saw. You need to take it to a good dealer and have them check it out. A 441 CM dead stock imho will outperform a dead stock 372XP, we've ran them head to head, it's close.
It should handle a 24" bar in hardwood with ease, my does.
I'm sure you've burned more than 15-20 tanks thru it in six months, as it takes that many for it to really get broke it. I run nothing but 91 octane gas and Ultra at 40:1. It should run and perform very close to a stock 460. My 441 handles a 28" in hardwood just fine, a 32" is getting to the point it does pull the crap out of it, but let it go at it own rate and it will suffice for many users.

I suspect something isn't right. We've got a ton of them out with loggers and they love them. We sell more 441's than 460's. The 441CM is definetly stronger than my 044.

He said non CM I think. That's the problem. The regular 441 never impressed me either. Still should out cut a266 though. The 441c is the best 70cc saw you can buy IMO. I'll take one overa 440 or 372 any day. My ported 441c will outperform my 372xpw. Its real close but the powerband of the 441 is wider IMO.

There is a reason why stihl brought back the 440 after introducing the standard 441...

Do yourself a favour and get a 461, a well built saw with more power and its lighter than the 441.

There is a reason why stihl brought back the 440 after introducing the standard 441...

Do yourself a favour and get a 461, a well built saw with more power and its lighter than the 441.

The regular 441 was discontinued, not the 441c. The only reason the 440 was brought back is for the guys who think they cure cancer. If the 440 was the better saw, why is it going bye bye?

The only thing the 461 has on the 441 is more displacement. The 441c is still the better worksaw IMO. The weight is the same.

Mmm power head only weights

441R CM 6.6kg 14.6 lb

461R 6.9kg 15.2 lb

I did have an old model 441 for a short time i to was not impressed but the 441Cs are the bees knees.:smile2:

The regular 441 was discontinued, not the 441c. The only reason the 440 was brought back is for the guys who think they cure cancer. If the 440 was the better saw, why is it going bye bye?

The only thing the 461 has on the 441 is more displacement. The 441c is still the better worksaw IMO. The weight is the same.

Exactly, the 441 was discontinued - further proves my point and I wasn't talking about the 441c. Also if a company has to re introduce a model like the "cancer curing" 440 then 441 sales must have been pretty bad... the 440 was the predecessor to the 441 after all. Stihl is also under pressure from the EPA to discontinue older models like the 440.

Regarding weight, the 441C actually ways slightly more than the 460/461 and its a bulkier design.

Last edited:
Mmm power head only weights

441R CM 6.6kg 14.6 lb

461R 6.9kg 15.2 lb

I did have an old model 441 for a short time i to was not impressed but the 441Cs are the bees knees.:smile2:

Yeah I was referring to the non R models Andrew, you can't trust the stihl specs either - you need to put them both on a scale side by side. The standard 441c is heavier than the 461.

Ohh boy here we go again, weight a minute brake out the scale to really way those saws. Even if the 461 wayed less than the 441C, you'd still save time weighting to do manual carb adjustments.

Ohh boy here we go again, weight a minute brake out the scale to really way those saws. Even if the 461 wayed less than the 441C, you'd still save time weighting to do manual carb adjustments.

No need to call in the weight police! lol. Just clearing up the facts.

The 441 and 461 are totally different designs and in the end it all comes down to operator preference. We could argue about different specs till the cows come home, but in the end we are still going to buy and use the saw model we prefer.

I would love to have that 266xp it was bought for me when I was in my early teens I grew up ok kodiak island in the bush and we heated by wood and I abused that saw hind sight 20/20 I wish I hadn't but was time to get a new all around saw I bought the 441. I have had it back to my dealer 3 times and he thinks I am nuts that's why I asked here. I doubt I will be getting any more help from him . I'm hunt for a new saw again. I am glad I found this sight prior to the next purchase

OK power heads only both full of fuel and oil, 460 Ozzy model with the twin bumper spikes,roller chain catcher,dual port muff.
441R CM ported,twin bumper spikes,roller chain catcher,large clutch cover,standard handle.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Back