MS441 w/25" Bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

v8titan

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I haven't posted here for a couple of years now but since I'm in the market for a new saw, I know this is the right place to ask the questions. So here we go. I have an older 034 w/20" bar....cut 5 to 6 cords /year Works OK but struggles a little bit in hard wood. I'm looking to upgrade and have the cash to spend on a 441. My question is.....how will this saw perform with a 25"bar in hardwood? Will it be similar to my experience with an 034 sporting the 20"?

Lookin' for a little feedback.

Tom

I bought two MS441s recently. The M-Tronic sure seems to have more power than the standard 441. Both with 25" bars.

Against the 361 or 362 you have 10 more ccs which makes a big difference. But then you also have the weight factor. The M-Tronic just keeps making more power the more you ask of it. Sure there is a point of resistance but the technology sure is spot on at least right now with this one.

Once it fires on "start" position it never stops running, just switch to on and cut wood.

Nice combination is a 70cc saw and a 50cc saw. Or your 034. Goodluck.

Welcome back!

Hey, V8, welcome back to the party. If you do an advanced search you'll find lots of debate about the merits of the 441 versus the 460. Both have proven to be very well liked, and a 25-inch bar is fine for either. Also, just in the past few days substantiated rumors have come out that Stihl will re-introduce the 440 come this June. So you have lots of options.

I've never run a 441 but I have an 044 and a 460. The 044 is a touch lighter and easier to handle, while the 460 has more power and is a bit thirstier. but I like 'em both!

Have fun choosing.

Olyeller

I certainly have read a lot of good things about the 440, and if the rumors are true, I would probably pick that over the 441. I tend to like the older bullet proof models without all the bells and whistles. Maybe I'll wait a month or two.....boy that's going to be tough....you all know how it is when you get a new saw purchase thought going.....I need it now... at least that's what my chainsaw side of the brain is telling me.

I have a 441 and it is a great saw. You should really be able to tell a difference between the 034 and a 441. The 441 will pull a 25" bar in hardwood in fine fashion, it has very good anti-vibe characteristics and has excellent fuel consumption as compared to non strato saws.

Steve

Don't know if it's still available but there was a brand new 441 listed locally for $750.

I've run my 440 with a 20" and plan on using the 25" on it soon fulltime. With the 20" nothing seems to stop it, it keeps digging so it should do just fine with the 25.

I certainly have read a lot of good things about the 440, and if the rumors are true, I would probably pick that over the 441. I tend to like the older bullet proof models without all the bells and whistles. Maybe I'll wait a month or two.....boy that's going to be tough....you all know how it is when you get a new saw purchase thought going.....I need it now... at least that's what my chainsaw side of the brain is telling me.

Here's the link: http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/165377.htm

I certainly know firsthand how CAD can get you all spun up, but if you wait until June you can price the 440, 441 and 460 against one another, hopefully handle all 3 at a dealership if not actually run them, then makes your pick. In the meantime you can read all the posts here on AS about all 3 saws and get yourself whipped up to a frenzy--what could be more fun?

Olyeller

I just this week was going to buy the 441 with a 25" bar.......but I got side tracked and with a little luck ended up at a shop that had a used nice MS460 with a 28" bar that I bought for $425 Now with the money I saved will get a MS261 new as well.

I cut around the same amount of firewood as you. If you go the route of the MS441 plan on running a 20" bar as well. I myself am new to cutting with the longer bar and bucking wood on the ground I am already finding out with a longer bar it is very easy to hit dirt on the other side and dull a blade super fast. So if you do not always need the 25" on you can run a 20" bar on the 441 with a 8 pin sprocket and it will really rip through wood so I am told. I have not gotten an eight pin yet for mine but will soon for the 20" bar I have for it.I have only had two days.

im used to fir alder and maple ,and hemlock ,do the harder woods really have to use 20-25 inch shorter bars to not bog the saws down ? i run 28 and 32 and dont seem have a power problem i see a lot run small bars on big powerheads in here

I have a brand new 441 with a 25" bar and it seems to do really well with it. I am sure it will get better as the saw gets run more and broke in completely. I wouldn't hesitate to stick it into anything.

I bought two MS441s recently. The M-Tronic sure seems to have more power than the standard 441. Both with 25" bars.

Against the 361 or 362 you have 10 more ccs which makes a big difference. But then you also have the weight factor. The M-Tronic just keeps making more power the more you ask of it. Sure there is a point of resistance but the technology sure is spot on at least right now with this one.

Once it fires on "start" position it never stops running, just switch to on and cut wood.

Nice combination is a 70cc saw and a 50cc saw. Or your 034. Goodluck.

where did u find the m-tronic? its not even listed on the u.s. website? I want this saw. what did u pay for it?

im used to fir alder and maple ,and hemlock ,do the harder woods really have to use 20-25 inch shorter bars to not bog the saws down ? i run 28 and 32 and dont seem have a power problem i see a lot run small bars on big powerheads in here

Around here it's not so much that you have to run a shorter bar it's just that the hard wood is not that big. The only stuff I run into that 20-25" bar won't handle is soft maple or cotonwood that just are not that hard. I'm sure you could run a longer bar even so it's just that there is not that much big wood unless you do residential tree service work. I talked to a old guy that has a Stihl, Jonesered, Dolmar dealership in my area that claims of his 40+ logging accounts most the loggers in the area use 20"-24" bars on the saws these days.

Around here it's not so much that you have to run a shorter bar it's just that the hard wood is not that big. The only stuff I run into that 20-25" bar won't handle is soft maple or cotonwood that just are not that hard. I'm sure you could run a longer bar even so it's just that there is not that much big wood unless you do residential tree service work. I talked to a old guy that has a Stihl, Jonesered, Dolmar dealership in my area that claims of his 40+ logging accounts most the loggers in the area use 20"-24" bars on the saws these days.

thanks i guess if the trees are all small around there it makes sense ,im from northwest used too bigger stuff i guess ,some of my firewood a 28 inch bar doesnt fit through ,different area i guess different tools for the job

I haven't posted here for a couple of years now but since I'm in the market for a new saw, I know this is the right place to ask the questions. So here we go. I have an older 034 w/20" bar....cut 5 to 6 cords /year Works OK but struggles a little bit in hard wood. I'm looking to upgrade and have the cash to spend on a 441. My question is.....how will this saw perform with a 25"bar in hardwood? Will it be similar to my experience with an 034 sporting the 20"?

Lookin' for a little feedback.

Tom

I have a 441 w/ 25" bar and it does a fine job in hardwoods. If you get it you will love it, the anti-vibe is great and its super on fuel. Good luck!

I have a 441 w/ 25" bar and it does a fine job in hardwoods. If you get it you will love it, the anti-vibe is great and its super on fuel. Good luck!

+1, Mine is about 18 months old, came with a 25" bar and two chains.

Latest posts

Back