MS650 won't start after BB kit

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You couldn't pay me to run any of the BB kits on any saws...

More hassle than they are worth...

Gary

I got KraftyHDs MS650 in the mail today. The running issues was a simple fix but he wanted me to look it over. The 90* plastic elbow was not plugged into the fuel line in the top of the tank.

More importantly, here are some things I found with the BB kit. I put the saw back together using a new 660 gasket. The piston skirts were hitting the gasket, just b a r e l y. Luckily I had another, so back apart it came and the next one went in after I relieved the ID of the gasket a little. I still wasn't sure the piston wasn't touching the case. I put it back together and it's smooth as silk. I turned it over with my fingers on the flywheel back on forth past BDC and there's nothing there. It clears but not by much. That's why the skirts on this kit are .080 shorter than stock as Excess650 I think it was showed earlier today. The bottom of the piston does free port perhaps .020" at TDC, just like mine does. But it starts, idles, and accellerates great.

Here's another thing I found that I really don't like. The roof of the exhaust port is totally flat. I mean no curve to it at all. This flies in the face of everything I've learned about porting. I do not like to raise the roof of an exhaust port but I felt like I had no choice on this one. It's simply not worth the risk of leaving it flat. It only took raising it about the amount of the original bevel to get a little curve to it. Grant it, the original bevel was quite large. That's probably how they get away with such a flat roof. I can see why some ported saws break rings. Go ahead and widen that port and maybe loose a little of that factory bevel and you've got the recipe for a failure if you don't change the shape a little. It doesn't take a lot to make a difference. So builders beware. Fix that port shape when you port these things.

I've put it through a couple heat cycles and hope to get it in some wood tomorrow. After that it'll be back on its way back home.

That's been my Bit?h... this is the third (?) generation of BB, and they still aren't right? I'll pay good money for OEM-like plug and play, but nothing for these..

Why don't they just make GREAT copies of the OEM... ???? Heck, make them right and sell them for $150.. or $200...

Why not just buy a whole Chinese chainsaw? There should be a Chicom 066660 Mahgnim along any time now. Lemme see, I could buy the Shtehal oughtsixersixer for about $500 and it should be ok right? What? I should put a Genuine Stihl top end on it cause the Shtehal one has .06 squish? And most say install a real 660 crank because the rod is stamped on the bargain model? What? Oh, I see, get the Stihl flywheel too you say? I would have thought the Chinese cast iron one was ok.

I am excited!!! I should have no more than about $1100-$1200 in this thing when I am done and it will be a ripper with all of the hop up parts I put on it!!!!!

:monkey: :monkey: :monkey:

I can't wait!! We've got a 60"+ Tulip tree just waiting to get bucked, and a burr oak thats about 50", and a 40" hickory, and some big sycamore, and...and...and...

The piece of mind knowing that my saw was built meticuosly by a professional will make using it even more enjoyable.

Thank you to all that have helped me learn and pointed me in the right direction.

I got KraftyHDs MS650 in the mail today. The running issues was a simple fix but he wanted me to look it over. The 90* plastic elbow was not plugged into the fuel line in the top of the tank.

More importantly, here are some things I found with the BB kit. I put the saw back together using a new 660 gasket. The piston skirts were hitting the gasket, just b a r e l y. Luckily I had another, so back apart it came and the next one went in after I relieved the ID of the gasket a little. I still wasn't sure the piston wasn't touching the case. I put it back together and it's smooth as silk. I turned it over with my fingers on the flywheel back on forth past BDC and there's nothing there. It clears but not by much. That's why the skirts on this kit are .080 shorter than stock as Excess650 I think it was showed earlier today. The bottom of the piston does free port perhaps .020" at TDC, just like mine does. But it starts, idles, and accellerates great.

Here's another thing I found that I really don't like. The roof of the exhaust port is totally flat. I mean no curve to it at all. This flies in the face of everything I've learned about porting. I do not like to raise the roof of an exhaust port but I felt like I had no choice on this one. It's simply not worth the risk of leaving it flat. It only took raising it about the amount of the original bevel to get a little curve to it. Grant it, the original bevel was quite large. That's probably how they get away with such a flat roof. I can see why some ported saws break rings. Go ahead and widen that port and maybe loose a little of that factory bevel and you've got the recipe for a failure if you don't change the shape a little. It doesn't take a lot to make a difference. So builders beware. Fix that port shape when you port these things.

Brad- good work. I figured the gasket would interfere even if the piston was clearing the case.

Brad- good work. I figured the gasket would interfere even if the piston was clearing the case.

I've had a look at several base gaskets. The 1mm gaskets seem to clear the BB piston just fine, but will result in more squish(lower compression) than I would like. The .5mm gaskets for the 066/660 I've seen won't clear the BB piston, but the one for the 064 will...just has incorrect bolt hole spacing.

Back