MS660 mods.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsd176

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So I'll be getting a new to me MS660 in the next week or two. I'm not big on modifying things unless it is an option from the factory, I guess I'm just funny like that. Anyway, I hear the 660 has a dual port muffler from Stihl. I was just curious if it is really worth it. How much does it run? What are the advantages and disadvantages? Is it going to shorten the life of my saw? And any other advice. Also, the saw is supposed to be an '07. Is it going to be the same saw as the current model year? What are the differences? I know the new saws have the IntelliCarb compensating carburetor. Was this standard back in '07? Any problems or quirks with the 660?

Thanks in advance for all the input.

The duel port muffler cover is a solid .5 hp after proper tuning,not bad for a factory option huh? no quirks with the 660 at all, except of course that trees piss in their roots! LOL

the factory single port will flow more then the dual port if your willing to open it up. id recomend dremel and carbide burr to do the job. this is bonus if you already have the tools to do it. if not just buy the dual port. also the dual port could be opend up to. its not flowing to its maximum either

Drill a 1/2" hole in the front of the baffle, directly inline with the exhaust port. Then open up the factory outlet on the side of the muffler. This will add more flow than the DP cover and be free. This mod will allow your engine to breathe better, letting out more heat. It will also significantly increase the power of your saw. You will need to retune after any of these mods.

So I'll be getting a new to me MS660 in the next week or two. I'm not big on modifying things unless it is an option from the factory, I guess I'm just funny like that. Anyway, I hear the 660 has a dual port muffler from Stihl. I was just curious if it is really worth it. How much does it run? What are the advantages and disadvantages? Is it going to shorten the life of my saw? And any other advice. Also, the saw is supposed to be an '07. Is it going to be the same saw as the current model year? What are the differences? I know the new saws have the IntelliCarb compensating carburetor. Was this standard back in '07? Any problems or quirks with the 660?

Thanks in advance for all the input.

See my thread here about the Stihl OEM muffler. This is the part that Stihl put on the saws before OSHA told them to reduce the noise. Works great and looks totally factory...because it is!!!

I put the DP cover on mine. I think it cost me a little over $40 at my local dealer. I honestly can't tell a difference in power, but it definitely changed, and I think improved, the sound.

Drill a 1/2" hole in the front of the baffle, directly inline with the exhaust port. Then open up the factory outlet on the side of the muffler.

I agree.:cheers:

I first tried modifying the single port muffler, similar to what Brad describes, and then later I added a dual port muffler cover, since it had been highly recommended by the guys on AS. The dual port is quite a bit louder, but there was no noticeable gain in power.

If I had to do it over again, opening up the single port is the way to go -- cheaper, just as much power, and less noise.

My 066 was fitted with a OEM looking dual port muffler. No holes in the muffler cover, but one on each side of the muffler itself. I can't seem to figure out what part number it is as the IPL's don't show the other side of the muffler. Maybe not a Sthil part? Seems to come pretty close to the chain brake handle on the left side.

Either way, it looks a hell of a lot nicer than the dual port muffler covers, IMHO. I'll see if I can get some pics this weekend.

i open them up to a 1" round outlet and can tell the difrence on the 044 and the 372

if i had a 660 id go with minumum of 1" outlet. that thing has got to breath.

this is my 044 muffler mod realy woke it up
GEDC0245.jpg

What about a high flow air filter for the saw just a idea to throw out. Anybody try one.

Forget the mods and learn to sharpen the chain and clean the air filter. Then learn how to cut with the saw. If you ever run out of power then ask the same question.

the best advice right there

I already know how to maintain a saw. I wouldn't be getting a second saw if I didn't. I want to know the answers to my questions.

jsd176

id asume you have a feel for this chain saw stuff because of one simple fact alone. you have a 660.

take some replies lightly. they told me to stop cutting and take a break for awhile. i want a 660 and they told me to learn how to use my current saws.

i would definalty do the muffler mod. if for no other reason then because it let the saw breath better and run cooler letting its life last longer. more power is a added bonus. by lookin at the new mufflers id guess thered be alot to gain by modding the muffler

good luck let us know how it goes and post pics if you can

Evan

I guess it's hard to tell the connotation of a comment with written words. The comments don't bother me, I just would like to hear some answers to my questions, that's all.

Before you modify the 660 run it for a while and get used to it. Basically establish a base line for it's mechanical capabilities. Get used to the sound and power so that if you decide to modify it you can appreciate any actual gains.

Some of the comments that you have received may seem a little harsh but are meant to encourage members to master the basics before looking for short cuts.

It is my opinion that the 660 is a fine 90cc saw as is from the factory and that most people will gain much more production speed from improved cutting techniques and maintenance than drilling holes and spending money on strap ons.

Also if you cut on any GOV property or for profit modified mufflers can become spendy fast, if not spendy than at least inconvenient.

Latest posts

Back