MS660 Observations

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darkness77

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've had my 660 for a few months now and put a few gallons of mix through it. There is a lot to like about this saw

POWER- this thing has a great spread of power and speed that I just love and I'm smiling like a fool every time I cut with it.

Noise- Gotta love a saw as loud as this. Has a great whisle to it too.

Weight- Not as bad as I thought it would be. Well balanced and neutral handling with 25" bar.

Easy Starting - I don't use the decomp.

Now the not so good.

STIHL E bar. This is what the shop put on. I think these laminated bars leave a lot to be desired in the longevity stakes. The railsdont seem real tuff up near the sprocket and It is looking a little blue 3/8" in from the edge. The chain is well adjusted and getting plnty of oil.

I don't like how the exhaust shoots out over the clutch cover and burns the paint off. There has to be a better way!

All in all a great saw, these are just my opinions of how it stacks up in a hobby firewood situation. Feel free to disagree..

I've had my 660 for a few months now and put a few gallons of mix through it. There is a lot to like about this saw

POWER- this thing has a great spread of power and speed that I just love and I'm smiling like a fool every time I cut with it.

Noise- Gotta love a saw as loud as this. Has a great whisle to it too.

Weight- Not as bad as I thought it would be. Well balanced and neutral handling with 25" bar.

Easy Starting - I don't use the decomp.

Now the not so good.

STIHL E bar. This is what the shop put on. I think these laminated bars leave a lot to be desired in the longevity stakes. The railsdont seem real tuff up near the sprocket and It is looking a little blue 3/8" in from the edge. The chain is well adjusted and getting plnty of oil.

I don't like how the exhaust shoots out over the clutch cover and burns the paint off. There has to be a better way!
All in all a great saw, these are just my opinions of how it stacks up in a hobby firewood situation. Feel free to disagree..

You should have insisted on the ES solid bar,,,

Dual port the muffler with factory DP cover,, relieve the side opening a bit to5/8" .625 fatten up the H screw and let it eat!!!!! If Im not burning paint,,,, and caked with sawchips/baroil Its not making me any money!!!!! :cheers:

The saw came fitted with the DP muffler. Its got plenty of go. And yes I wished I knew about the ES bars when I bought the thing. After thought is the perfect science:censored:

I didn't know about the ES bars when I bought my 660.
But my dealer took the regular 36" off and put an ES on for me , without asking.

Then he threw in another 20" ES for the same price as a regular 20".

After running them for awhile, I wouldn't buy anything but a ES for my 460's or 660's bigger bars. :cheers:

I’ve got the DP muffler setup and 25” ES bars on both my 660’s. I like the sound, power, and weight really isn’t a problem. No problems either with the ES bar. For stump grinding the 660 makes flush cuts easy, that's all I use them for.

Latest posts

Back