ms660 or 395xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ccjim

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
hey guys first time poster here.

im looking at buying either a 660 or a 395 that will have a 32" or so on it. I need everyones opinion on both of them.so you dont have to ask both the stihl and huskee dealer around here are horrible.the only good dealer thats remotely close to me is a echo dealer...cs8000 maybe?need opinions before i drop a grand on a saw

thanks,
Jim

The 660 is lighter. The 395xp imo, is stronger has better av oils better,has better air filtration,but is heavier.
If I had to do it over and get a saw that big I would opt for the 395xp.
I was just thinkin that really from my experience the 390xp may be your best bet.....

I've never run a 660 but have run a 084. I have a 288xp, not sure how it compares to the 395xp but it's a real runner with a 32" bar & chain. I would say the Echo want stack up against either one. Personally I would go with the Husky!

fair enough 2-0 so far.my small engine guy that fixes all my stuff i cant says in his opinion the stihl is built alittle bit better.i liked the feel of the stihl over the husky, but would trade alittle bit of comfort over performance anyday.

fair enough 2-0 so far.my small engine guy that fixes all my stuff i cant says in his opinion the stihl is built alittle bit better.i liked the feel of the stihl over the husky, but would trade alittle bit of comfort over performance anyday.

If thats the case then go with the 395xp or 390xp for sure.....
btw, do ya plan on havin her ported?

nope,stock so i keep the warrenty. I guess I need give more info. The biggest saw i own right now is a 455 rancher with a 20". Im sick of getting the bar burried on both sides when bucking up the bigger tree jobs.i want a saw that i can just put into the wood with a 32" or so bar and still have her scream....also once in awhile use it to fell with so i dont need to double bore cut:bang:

nope,stock so i keep the warrenty. I guess I need give more info. The biggest saw i own right now is a 455 rancher with a 20". Im sick of getting the bar burried on both sides when bucking up the bigger tree jobs.i want a saw that i can just put into the wood with a 32" or so bar and still have her scream....also once in awhile use it to fell with so i dont need to double bore cut:bang:

If ya wanna stay stock then seriously consider the Dolmar 7900. They are a really strong stock saw IMO.

I have 372's, 7900's, 660's, and a 084 I like them all. Some are ported. Don't know anything about 390 or 395's

I try to use the right size for the wood I'm cutting.

I have nice Dolmar and Husky dealers near by. There are a half dozen Stihl dealers within 20 miles of the house. One is exceptionally good.

I work on my own chainsaws so I only use the dealers for parts.

I've played with a 395, got to do some large log bucking with it.. My opinion is odd, clunky, and unimpressive. That being said, I own a 066, and I would pick that ANY day of the week over the Husky. It feels better, performs better, more comfortable to operate. If someone gave me a 395 free of charge, I'd sell it and buy a new 660.

between your 2 choices
if left completely stock 395xp first choice
w/ dual ported muff ms660 first choice

but w/ other considerations
in order of preference
dual ported muff ms460
dual ported muff 385xp
dual ported muff ms660

all wear 24" bar and very seldom is anything longer needed
even for 4' trees

overall best choice is ms460 woods ported & dual muff
it will smoke either the 395xp or ms660 if they are stock

ive ran a dolmar 5900 alot and loved it. the only problem with dolmar is the closest dealer is 1.5 away or so. what does the 7900 come out to be in cc's?

Given everything else you have said, I would let this be the deciding factor. You will be well served with either saw.

you could buy a 660..............

then buy the dual port muffler and upgraded oiler and go cut wood.

or you could just buy the 395xp and go cut wood.

If you want the best all around large saw then look no further than the 7900. Its power to weight ratio is awesome. When you run one it has the light weight feel of a 65 or 70 cc saw but the power of an 85 to 90. I run mine with a 28" bar and 7 tooth rim or a 20" bar and 8 tooth rim, both have their applications. I also own a 394xp with a 34 or 36" bar and I go for the Dolmar every time I load the truck to go out on a job. If you have to go Husky then go for the 390xp or the Jred 2188. Both of them are good on the power to weight ratio but far less clunky than the 395 chassis, and lighter. I have 2188's in the field running 50 and 60" mills and all I do to keep the revs up is get skip tooth chain for them.

7900 seems to be a good saw.

for homeowners and cookie cutters.

I haven't seen one hold up long from everyday tree work.

I have a stock 066 with the factory dual port muffler, which by the way you could order and keep your warranty on a new 660, and though I haven't run a 395 I don't think I trade my 066 for one. The Husky would have a bit more power but they look really large and bulky to me. I prefer to be able to see around my saw as easy as possible and the 395 would not afford me this compared the the 660 (460 even better). If your cutting for long periods time the 395 has better AV. Later down the road the parts availability would probably be better with the Stihl. I know the Dolmar guys are gonna hate me for saying this but the 7900 in no way compares with the 660. The one I had didn't even compare with my 460 for torque.

Latest posts

Back