MS660 Top Cover and Air Filter Cover Price

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I looked again. Mine looks like a flattened rod bent into "L" shape. The corner of it it sticks just past the inner clutch. If I were to bend the "L" straight it would hit the cases... What is the best way to get the clutch off?

if you can see it then there is no need to taking the clutch off. It will engage as it should. just make sure that you line up the groove in the clutch drum so that is engages with that rod

what will happen after many hours of use is the end of that rod will wear and eventually break, therefore not spinning the oil pump. I then remove the clutch (insert a nylon rope that is just big enough to get into the sparkplug hole, with the end burnt so that there are no frays, and get a 6 pt 3/4" or 19mm socket and remove the clutch. the clutch is left hand threads (righty loosey, lefty tightie). do not use an impact wrench to remove or install the clutch. I then rebend the spring and install it. I can usually do this once before i have to get a new spring (i typically rebplace the worm gear and spring together)

clear as mud?

if you can see it then there is no need to taking the clutch off.

what will happen after many hours of use is the end of that rod will wear and eventually break, therefore not spinning the oil pump. I then remove the clutch (insert a nylon rope that is just big enough to get into the sparkplug hole, with the end burnt so that there are no frays, and get a 6 pt 3/4" or 19mm socket and remove the clutch. the clutch is left hand threads (righty loosey, lefty tightie). do not use an impact wrench to remove or install the clutch. I then rebend the spring and install it. I can usually do this once before i have to get a new spring (i typically rebplace the worm gear and spring together)

clear as mud?

Well the nylon worm gear could be shot ........:cheers::cheers:

Well the end was broken off, Another $20 at the local dealer. I really don't like twisting on the clutch with the rope in there. Is there a chance of bending a rod or crushing a bearing? How tight does it go back on?

Nope no "self tightning" parts on a chainsaw thay all have specs..... I think Husky might have some self loosening parts though. :D

:laugh:

Well the end was broken off, Another $20 at the local dealer. I really don't like twisting on the clutch with the rope in there. Is there a chance of bending a rod or crushing a bearing? How tight does it go back on?

if you don't like that you really won't like a metal piston stop.

post a pic of the spring if you can. u might be able to bend it and keep using it.

The rope trick worked, I just didn't like the feel of wrenching on a stopped crank. I'm always afraid of breaking something

Oil problem is fixed. Now i'm just stuck on why I need the red caps if I slice the adjustment tab off. Wouldn't that just unscrew too with the screw. I already have them both out.

Back