MS660 wrist pin bearing failure

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jakekinney

jakekinney

ArboristSite Lurker
I picked this saw up used about a month ago. Meteor kit, muffler work, and whatever else the guy did, ran great when I got it and have been milling with it ever since and no issues, until the other day. Let off the throttle to put in some wedges and it died, went to start again and I could feel there was no compression.

Long story short when I got everything apart, the wrist pin was very hard to get out and the fell out in 40 pieces. Took out the top of the piston and cylinder. Checked the bottom end luckily nothing found its way down there. Plenty of oil and everything was lubed well.IMG_0631.jpeg IMG_0632.jpeg IMG_0633.jpeg

I have a new meteor kit on the way. Should I use that bearing or go OEM? Anyone ever had this issue before?

Czed

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
I picked this saw up used about a month ago. Meteor kit, muffler work, and whatever else the guy did, ran great when I got it and have been milling with it ever since and no issues, until the other day. Let off the throttle to put in some wedges and it died, went to start again and I could feel there was no compression.

Long story short when I got everything apart, the wrist pin was very hard to get out and the fell out in 40 pieces. Took out the top of the piston and cylinder. Checked the bottom end luckily nothing found its way down there. Plenty of oil and everything was lubed well.View attachment 672386 View attachment 672387 View attachment 672388

I have a new meteor kit on the way. Should I use that bearing or go OEM? Anyone ever had this issue before?
Oem on the wrist pin bearings.
Your lucky it didn't get in the bottom end.

hotshot

hotshot

ArboristSite Operative
. AS Supporting Member.
Believe those needles came out of the WP bearing at dissassembly, but the shadows from the picture lighting makes them look bigger.

The cage part carnage came around to the top through the transfer ports.

I’ve been wrong before, but that is the way I would write up the autopsy.

user 122190
When I did my project saw, I thought the wrist pin was protected on both sides for the full travel of the stroke. I remember looking at it, questioning the sage advise given here to ALWAYS use OEM circlips, else burn in hell, or something worse.

jakekinney

jakekinney

ArboristSite Lurker
Believe those needles came out of the WP bearing at dissassembly, but the shadows from the picture lighting makes them look bigger.

The cage part carnage came around to the top through the transfer ports.

I’ve been wrong before, but that is the way I would write up the autopsy.
Yeah that was a typo....meant to say the bearing came out in 40 pieces. Absolutely no cage left, just needles came falling out once the pin was clear.

holeycow

holeycow

Dirt, Air, Water, Sun; Seeds.
. AS Supporting Member.
Dirt/debris. Destroys wrist pin bearings.

My guess is it wasn’t perfectly clean when it was reassembled.

Just a guess..

Perhaps he re-used a worn out assembly? Pins, clips, and bearings are cheap. If you keep the wrist pin tight it won’t hammer out the bottom..

You got lucky.

Be sure to flush the crankcase over and over. Gently rotate the crank and flush, flush, flush.

Deleted member 117362
D

Deleted member 117362

Is your oem piston and cylinder scored? Hard to tell from pictures, only see marks on piston top and squish band. If it's not scored and bottom end bearings are good, why not reuse them?

Mad Professor
Luckily. Took holeycow's advice and flushed out the crankcase today so its nice and clean.
USPS says i'll have the top end kit tomorrow so if everything is ok I should be back up and running shortly after I get home from work tomorrow.

I good top kit with a bad bottom end. is like humping a Ho with cooties, good luck...............

jakekinney

jakekinney

ArboristSite Lurker
Is there any endplay in the rod at the big end, is what I meant. It is standard procedure to check that when it’s apart.
Everything is solid and butter smooth. The two saw shops by me were closed today so if one of them has a new bearing on the shelf tomorrow and the mail doesn't have any issues she should be running soon. I'll have to let you guys know how it goes.

holeycow

holeycow

Dirt, Air, Water, Sun; Seeds.
. AS Supporting Member.
I usually look at those big end needles and cages with a strong magnifying glass under good light. It’s a bit of a pita rotating and sliding back and forth and such, but you can see stress marks and/or cracks in the cage or marks in the needles this way.

Part of this is because I can’t fricken see any more!

Latest posts