Ms660vs056magnum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Mag2 is rated at 6.8hp; The MS660 - 7.1hp, but up to 7.8hp with a older dual port front an older cylinder etc. etc.

Cut speed? Some say the 056 is faster, some say "na... 066 all the way"... Let's just say - it was pretty damn good for it's day. Of course, Dennis Calhoon won't agree, ever.

I don't care.. my 056M2 is so damn pretty it's welcome to share the shelf with my 066/660. I'll drag it out and cut wood hard with it one day... :)

Last edited:
They are both beasts of saws. They are similar in power and torque on paper but they act different cutting. You have to run them to know what I'm talking about. The 066 is like a sports car revs fast and is light. The 056 mag 2 is like a steam locomotive it takes a bit to rev but once it gets going is one hard saw to stop. :givebeer:

They are both beasts of saws. They are similar in power and torque on paper but they act different cutting. You have to run them to know what I'm talking about. The 066 is like a sports car revs fast and is light. The 056 mag 2 is like a steam locomotive it takes a bit to rev but once it gets going is one hard saw to stop. :givebeer:

I have owened an 066 and a 056 but never at the same time,I currently have a 056 it cuts great but it is hard to tell if the 066dp i once had is faster without having one right next to it i can not say.

The Mag2 is rated at 6.8hp; The MS660 - 7.1hp, but up to 7.8hp with a older dual port front an older cylinder etc. etc.

Cut speed? Some say the 056 is faster, some say "na... 066 all the way"... Let's just say - it was pretty damn good for it's day. Of course, Dennis Calhoon won't agree, ever.

I don't care.. my 056M2 is so damn pretty it's welcome to share the shelf with my 066/660. I'll drag it out and cut wood hard with it one day... :)

where does the 51 fit into this equation in your experience, in looking at the 'new' 51 in mexico shes rated for 5.9hp, and i guess the saw has been detuned and maybe lost 1/2-1hp since the 'amercian' version? anyway, im guessing a tad behind both these saws?

are there any worthwhile mods for the 51 to increase power?

Last edited:
The 51 was only ever rated at 5.8hp.. but is a low reving lumbering beast in comparison to the 056mag 2... The best mod to an 051 is to put on a 075/076 jug and piston - 7 hp..

The 51 was only ever rated at 5.8hp.. but is a low reving lumbering beast in comparison to the 056mag 2... The best mod to an 051 is to put on a 075/076 jug and piston - 7 hp..

7hp and some serious torque!

October_GTG_04Small.jpg

The 051/075/076 saws are also a lot bigger, physically, and weigh noticeably more than the 056.

October_GTG_20Small.jpg

October_GTG_19Small.jpg

Right on the money!!!

I don't have much personal experience with the 056 family of saws, but I get a feeling its pretty close to the 038 mag vs the 044. Another example of specs on paper not telling the whole story.

currently the ts760 is stihl a current product in canada, the machine looks alot like my 51 and the 76. does this saw use the same jug/piston combo and the 75/76 saws and would it bolt to my 51? is there a current cutoff saw based on the 51? is there are there power/torque curves available for the 51 and other saws?

also does stihl (and husky for that matter) still make families of saws upon a common chassis?

and a question to those whove used a 51 alot, it gets pretty good reviews, but is it as good as it seems?

If memory serves the 051 uses different bolts to attach the cylinder to the crankcase, but assuming you get the appropriate bolts then the 075/076 cylinder should bolt right up.

As for common chassis, yes, there are examples out there - Stihl MS290/310/390, Husqvarna 346xp/353, Dolmar 6400/7300/7900. But in this time in saw history, with the emphasis on power-to-weight, models like the 051 wouldn't be selling like crazy with the same weight and bulk as an 076.

The Mag2 is rated at 6.8hp; The MS660 - 7.1hp, but up to 7.8hp with a older dual port front an older cylinder etc. etc.QUOTE]

older dual port cover....are they different from now??? older cylinder...what has changed? and how old are we talking?? red light?

I've run an 066 twice. I have an 056 Super. If not for the weight, I'd take the Super. In all fairness, I bought the 056 from Dean and I don't know what he did to it if anything.

The 066dp that I compared my 056magII to IS an early dual port pre restricted model. The magII is always faster in wood 16" and under(hard or soft) and is only a tick off the pace in larger wood. This is not bias or bench racing, but my actual experience. I realize that this will not be everybody's experience with these saws, but it was mine. Personally I was very suprised when I started using the 056. It is VERY strong.:)

The 066dp that I compared my 056magII to IS an early dual port pre restricted model. The magII is always faster in wood 16" and under(hard or soft) and is only a tick off the pace in larger wood. This is not bias or bench racing, but my actual experience. I realize that this will not be everybody's experience with these saws, but it was mine. Personally I was very suprised when I started using the 056. It is VERY strong.:)

i think i have an 056magII how can you tell?

The ID tag on top will say 056 magnumII or 056 super or 056.

maybe... unless someone swapped tops in the the past. :monkey: Measure the bore (56mm), or, remove the muffler (dual ported - vents to the back AND front) and look for the tiny cutouts on the bottom of the cylinder mounts. Part numbers of the case sides can be an indicator..

The Mag2 is rated at 6.8hp; The MS660 - 7.1hp, but up to 7.8hp with a older dual port front an older cylinder etc. etc.QUOTE]

older dual port cover....are they different from now??? older cylinder...what has changed? and how old are we talking?? red light?

Post redlight, pre MS660. I have a DP on an MS660/066 (same in my case) and it rips.. I'm not sure exactly when or what they changed, but it was pretty subtle.

Back