MS880 vs. Husky 3120 for CSM?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grey

Wood junky
Reaction score
So, I'm down to these two powerheads for a CSM to do ~10 tree's per year with a CSM. I kind of like the outboard clutch of the Husky, but I stopped by local dealers today and got quotes of: $1750 for MS880 w/ 59" bar and chain vs. $1799 for Husky 3120 powerhead only (dealer carries Husky and Stihl, quoted me MSRP $2059 for MS880 w. 59" bar and chain.) I still kind of like the 3120, but there is no way I'm paying more for the power head only than I can get an MS880 with bar and chain!!!!! So, what is a real fair price for a new 3120 powerhead?

I've seen them on dealer shelves for a while and they were in the $14-1500 range with a bar.

1750 with bar and chain is in the range , he is only making a few bucks on that saw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the feedback. That's very helpful.

Looks like the 880 would be a good choice and I seem to be getting quoted a fair price. Anyone know a decent Husky dealer in Central, PA (Lebanon/Dauphin counties, etc). I'd really like to get a real price on the 3120, not just MSRP.

I'm in New Zealand and when I got my MS880 Stihl and 59 inch bar I paid around $4.300. I went to a recommended top dealer and he gave me $300 cheaper than in my home town. wouldn't look back. got the best and it will go for years more to come. I have milled lots of big wood and these are one amazing saw, thumbs up for me.

If you're still listening i can direct you to a very good deal on a new 3120 I think has a 33"

Looks like the 880 would be a good choice and I seem to be getting quoted a fair price. Anyone know a decent Husky dealer in Central, PA (Lebanon/Dauphin counties, etc). I'd really like to get a real price on the 3120, not just MSRP.
Mountainside repair in Dry Run, Pa is Husky and Stihl dealer. Johnathan the owner is a great guy. He will deal on either saw. 717-349-7777.

Doesn't the husky still have the front adjuster?? Also what does the outboard clutch gain you in a CSM?? I thought it was a weight distribution/handling thing and wouldn't really matter on a big ol pig like the 3120?

Doesn't the husky still have the front adjuster?? Also what does the outboard clutch gain you in a CSM?? I thought it was a weight distribution/handling thing and wouldn't really matter on a big ol pig like the 3120?

The adjuster is in the cover on the 3120 but on the front. The out board clutch is keeping some heat out of the case. I know the 390 was getting the oil tank so hot I had t be careful where I put my hands. A muffler mod to direct exhaust down away from the saw is nice like on my 088.

Thanks Mdavlee. I guess that much torque would work the crap out of a clutch generating heat.

Does the 3120 have crank problems on the clutch side? Some British bikes used to have issues with multi piece cranks and longer overhanging clutches.

We have no husky dealers around here (except lowes homeowner line huskys) so I am not familiar with them.

Thanks Mdavlee. I guess that much torque would work the crap out of a clutch generating heat.

Does the 3120 have crank problems on the clutch side? Some British bikes used to have issues with multi piece cranks and longer overhanging clutches.

We have no husky dealers around here (except lowes homeowner line huskys) so I am not familiar with them.

The rod is the weak link in the 3120. They don't hold up as race saws and end up with an 084 rod in them. I've never heard of someone breaking the 3120 crank out there.

Latest posts

Back