MS881 Ripsaw ported

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just sent my new 881 saw to Ripsaw to help her breathe a little better. Going to run a 25in full comp chisel Stihl chain with an 8 pin sprocket...Any thoughts on raker depth, bark box, high flow filter etc? Anybody done this yet?
Did you run it stock first? It'll pull a 10-pin with 25" bar in 22" oak, which is as much as a 25" bar can cut in one pass without taking off the felling spikes.

You're gonna want a D-handle and spare set of biceps to start it, because from my understanding-and I could be wrong-if the timing is advanced far enough and you're not pulling it fast enough it could rip the starter out of your hand and dislocate your fingers in the process--not that "it will" but more like "it's risky." I'm sure someone who builds them could provide better insight.

I'm a little nervous about starting it also as they do away with the decompression valve...I'm 60 years old and in good shape and certainly above average strength but we'll see in a few months how tough it is to start...
I've heard good things about Ripsaw??? I'm sure there are others that do good, maybe better port work probably here on this site...

Latest posts

Back