28 inch bar on 455 rancher

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi I'm new here and not shure if I'm posting this in the right place? But I am trying to answer a post everyone says 28 inch bar is to big for the 455. Very much not true and wrong. I have a stock 455 rancher and I regularly run from 18 inch 3/8 .050 bar up to a 36 inch 3/8. .050 bar. I have zero problems with longer bars my main cutting bar is in fact a 28 inch 3/8. .050 Oregon power match sprocket nose bar with full chisel skip link chain and ripping chain with ease! Only thing I can say is don't be afraid to run bigger bar chain combos up to 36 inch. Make sure you turn the oiler adjustment screw up to 3 otherwise you will be running a dry chain and we all know what will happen! And just because someone says you will have a hard time finding a bar is also not true contact frawleys saw shop in Iowa they have any size bar for damn near any saw on the market and stock all types and sizes of chain. And they can also make custom chain types also. Now if you want to prove all the ney sayer's wrong you do like I did and I built my other 455 rancher. It's running a 56 inch 3/8 .050 full chisel skip link chain! Everyone said you can't put a 56 inch bar on that saw, well I did and cut most of the day today!! It's nothing super big or fancy just a stock looking saw overall except for the internals! It's a Husqvarna big bore, chrome plated piston and cylinder custom, I ported the exhaust and intake built a healthy custom carb, high performance air filter, exhaust mod to make it exhale better and run it on 100 low lead avaition fuel with a heavy 50:1 mix ratio and a custom oil pump modification to get oil down the 56 inch Oregon bar and chain combo. It goes through oil faster than most saws but chain wear is quite low! Although fuel economy has increased after building a hopped up 455 rancher! All I can say is use safe cutting and felling practices and hold on tight and let it do the work for you because it's a nasty animal that I have been felling trees with on a weekly basis for many trouble free years now and it keeps up with the big saws and work's just as hard as the sthil 881. So now the real truth about how big is too big is out there. Be safe, cut big, have fun 😎

I bought a 28” 3/8 .050 Oregon bar and matching Oregon skiptooth chain but chain is too short. Everything else fits. Chain adjustment is maxed out but still about 1 inch short. What could be the problem? have a 455 Rancher, trying to upgrade to 28”.

I bought a 28” 3/8 .050 Oregon bar and matching Oregon skiptooth chain but chain is too short. Everything else fits. Chain adjustment is maxed out but still about 1 inch short. What could be the problem? have a 455 Rancher, trying to upgrade to 28”.
chainsaw Gods speaking to you.

Chain properly fit the tip sprocket, and the drive sprocket, and mount slot properly fits saw studs? CHAIN DL COUNT MATCHES bar stamp?

Chain properly fit the tip sprocket, and the drive sprocket, and mount slot properly fits saw studs? CHAIN DL COUNT MATCHES bar stamp?
did you physically count the number of drive links on the new chain?
is the new bar correct for the saw and not trying to run a Stihl bar on a Husky or some other such combo?

It's the wrong chain

How about an 024 running a 72" Cannon with 1/2" .063 chisel. I think I should stay with a 6 pin as a 7 pin might be too much for it. I bet my 026 could pull a 7 pin though? I guess my 090's, 797g, 3100, and 125 Mac's will be headed to the scrapper? Maybe not !!!
Who did the porting on your 026? mine will only pull a 60" 404 with a 7 pin.

I tried a new 592XP but I am getting old and the weight is killing me I would rather run the 026, I had already given up on the 088 because of the weight.

Hi I'm new here and not shure if I'm posting this in the right place? But I am trying to answer a post everyone says 28 inch bar is to big for the 455. Very much not true and wrong. I have a stock 455 rancher and I regularly run from 18 inch 3/8 .050 bar up to a 36 inch 3/8. .050 bar. I have zero problems with longer bars my main cutting bar is in fact a 28 inch 3/8. .050 Oregon power match sprocket nose bar with full chisel skip link chain and ripping chain with ease! Only thing I can say is don't be afraid to run bigger bar chain combos up to 36 inch. Make sure you turn the oiler adjustment screw up to 3 otherwise you will be running a dry chain and we all know what will happen! And just because someone says you will have a hard time finding a bar is also not true contact frawleys saw shop in Iowa they have any size bar for damn near any saw on the market and stock all types and sizes of chain. And they can also make custom chain types also. Now if you want to prove all the ney sayer's wrong you do like I did and I built my other 455 rancher. It's running a 56 inch 3/8 .050 full chisel skip link chain! Everyone said you can't put a 56 inch bar on that saw, well I did and cut most of the day today!! It's nothing super big or fancy just a stock looking saw overall except for the internals! It's a Husqvarna big bore, chrome plated piston and cylinder custom, I ported the exhaust and intake built a healthy custom carb, high performance air filter, exhaust mod to make it exhale better and run it on 100 low lead avaition fuel with a heavy 50:1 mix ratio and a custom oil pump modification to get oil down the 56 inch Oregon bar and chain combo. It goes through oil faster than most saws but chain wear is quite low! Although fuel economy has increased after building a hopped up 455 rancher! All I can say is use safe cutting and felling practices and hold on tight and let it do the work for you because it's a nasty animal that I have been felling trees with on a weekly basis for many trouble free years now and it keeps up with the big saws and work's just as hard as the sthil 881. So now the real truth about how big is too big is out there. Be safe, cut big, have fun 😎
Id geniuely like see it. Im in process of moding my 455

I suspect he's a homeowner who finally got something bigger than a Wild Thing, was convinced it was king turd on top of poo mountain, is a little bummed to find out it's not, and is telling stories to try and make it seem bigger than it is. Like the kid who finally upgrades from his highschool jalopy to a newish Honda Civic, thinks it's the fastest thing on wheels, and is annoyed to find out it's just a grocery getter.

A shame too. The 455 is a great firewood saw, the Civic is a great grocery getter.

Latest posts

Back