500i bar choice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Howdy all, for an update I just placed my order for the saw and bars:

Power Head: 500i
Bars:
25" 3/8 .063 ES light with RM chain / semi - chisel
32" 3/8 .063 ES light with RM chain / semi - chisel
2/1 file + some 3/8 spare files

The powerhead is in stock but the bars and chain had to be ordered so I hope to pick everything up in a week or so.

Of note, I spoke with a national Stihl rep and he said the .063 (in 3/8 at least) was really common to TX, AR and LA. He verified that Stihl is moving towards .050 gauge on the 3/8 and smaller platforms but that .063 would still be manufactured by Stihl due to legacy equipment still running .063. He also noted performance/strength for .050 and .063 gauge on 3/8 and smaller bars was nearly the same. Again, not my opinion just passing on what I heard from one of the Dallas/Forth Worth area (national) Stihl reps.

Also, I checked out a 661CM with both the 36" and the 32" bars (standard ES, not light) and almost got it instead of the 500i. However, since the majority of my work will be suited to a 25" bar or smaller I think the 500i is a better fit for now. I'll reevaluate after a year or so and adjust fire as needed.

Predominantly, I'd chose the bar gauge that more available in your area. As mentioned in here in Oregon .050 or .063 gauge is the norm. The .063 gauge is what I run on longer bars; I haven't really noticed the difference in in weight between the two gauges. There are advantages to running .050 as mentioned above. I don't own a 500I and it would run either gauge. I main chose to go to the .063 because that what my dad runs so we could share chains.

Since .063 is most of what I run on my other larger saws I would choose the .063 for 500I. If you are running smaller saw and they run 3/8 .050 I'd go with the .050! That way if you start buying chain in bulk your set to support multiple saws. It takes little more power to run .063 over the .050... not sure you would know thou. I run .050 on my MS362 25" bar but I run .063 on a 28" bar on my MS361 which are my primary saws. Since I run mostly these saws... MS361, MS460, 372XP and MS661 ... I run .063 gauge. I believe .058 gauge isn't that available here in PNW so I would not choose that gauge. I heard that .058 gauge is pretty common on East Coast if so, I go with .058 gauge. If you have a local shop you're buy your supply from, ask them what they sell the most. If your buy chains from a farm or hardware store probably not going to find .063 gauges.

28” LW Stihl was a tough find for my dealer when I ordered mine. He lucked into one and I’m glad he did. My 572 wears a 32” LW Husky and does just fine.

Latest posts

Back