MSE 140 + MS 2?0 or one saw for all tasks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

delta

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm yet another weekend firewood cutter who has been enjoying the posts of all the chainsaw fanatics & experts on this site. Time to start a thread since I am still agonizing about which way to go.

We moved to a place with 60 acres of oak, fir and madrone and I have kept our wood stoves fed for seven months every year. My first saw was a gift (Stihl 011) that lasted three years. Our local Stihl dealer listened to my novice period complaints and then sold me my current saw (Stihl 025). Now after twelve years I have learned what this saw can do well and what it struggles to do. It has been damn resistant to starting lately no matter how much maintenance or servicing it gets.

Recently my dealer suggested that I consider using it as a $100 trade-in for a new saw. On Ebay $60-80 is typical for a well used 025. My spouse suggested we consider getting a second "quiet" saw for orchard trimming and bucking up smaller stuff in the log pile (Stihl MSE 140 14"). I figure we could live with a 100-150 foot 12 gauge "leash" for that saw. Not breathing fumes and making so much noise with a light weight saw near the house does makes sense.

So that leaves me endlessly considering the 250, 260, 270, 280 for saw #2 and yes I have been tempted by specs of the 361. My 025 fully loaded up only weighs 13lbs and that has been tolerable all these years. I'm torn between doing a minor gas saw upgrade (MS270) plus the MSE 140 or getting one do-it-all saw and keeping within the budget ($500-600) I was initially "granted"!

So should I go for the "Yours & Mine" saws or convince the spouse we should get one do-it-all saw? You unmarried sawyers may not appreciate the ego balancing required this situation.

Stihl 011 14" R.I.P.
Stihl 025 18" (1996)
Stihl ??? (2008)

http://www.arboristsite.com/images/smilies/dizzy.gif

Hi and welcome to AS. If you get both saws, you may be on your way to having CAD,LOL...Really, two saws may be the best way for you, plus a back up saw is nice to have around.

With your budget you could go for a MS280 and MS180 as long as your willing to spend $600 after the trade-in. That might be a nice combination since you've been running an 025 all these years. Set the 280 up with 18" and the 180 with either 12" or 14". Or just spend it all on an MS361.

Welcome aboard!

Has the 250 been enough saw for you, or have you found yourself needing a bit more than it can reasonably provide? I would consider this the first question to answer.

If you're actually amenable to the corded idea, I'd look at an electric + a 280 if a 280/16" or 280/18" setup would meet your "big saw" needs.

Yes Computeruser, the 025 at certain times seems like too small of a saw and it has also been considered to be way too big by my 100 lbs spouse!

:dizzy:

The only way to get satisfaction is the MS361.........

The 280 weights close to the same, and has a lot less power, and cheaper build quality.
The 280 isn't a bad saw, but the 361 just is a much better one....

Last edited:
Just one other note. Make sure to be careful with the electric saw if you end up purchasing one. I have never personally ran an electric chainsaw, but I've seen lakeside53 comment on how dangerous they are because of their torque.

If you have 60 acres with many oaks, you will want a 361 or 441.

If you want one saw, get the 361. Can do small stuff and most big stuff.

If you want 2 saws, I find my combo of 260 and 441 perfect for my applications. I have mostly oaks on my property. I use my 260 for small stuff and pines, my 441 buzzes through every oak I have ever had to cut. I recently cut up 3 tall fallen oaks that had 20+ inch diameters without any problem at all.
Lots of money tied up in those 2 saws, but they have earned their keep already.
If I had to pick all over again, I would buy the 260 and 441 again.

Sure, but the 361 is a much better do-it-all saw, if you want only one.......:greenchainsaw:

Last edited:
just my 2.

"Not breathing fumes and making so much noise with a light weight saw near the house does makes sense."

You might consider that an electric saw is less safe for you. Electric does not have a clutch that will slip when the chain gets pinched or bar kicks back or, (if you have them) chaps get hit by the chain.

I would think twice about the corded model.
Consider the 260. It's got guts for it's size; and is about the same weight as what you have.
just my 2.
-br

Welcome aboard!

Has the 250 been enough saw for you, or have you found yourself needing a bit more than it can reasonably provide? ....

The 250 sometimes is - but I really hate it.......

...the ones I have encoutered has been POS..... :givebeer:

Last edited:
electric saw safety

"Not breathing fumes and making so much noise with a light weight saw near the house does makes sense."

You might consider that an electric saw is less safe for you. Electric does not have a clutch that will slip when the chain gets pinched or bar kicks back or, (if you have them) chaps get hit by the chain.

Stihl says their MSE 140 and 180 have a < 1 second coast down brake. One review of electric saws claims the other electric saws do not have the coast-down brake so the chain still runs after the trigger is released, making it in dangerous in unskilled hands.

For a saw jam wouldn't there be a thermal cut off circuit on board?

My dealer did not have any Stihl electric saws in stock for a hands on test. I have read that the electric saws can have vibration issues and do not have the AV design features. So for the hefty Stihl list prices are the Stihl electrics low vibration saws?

Back