MTD 27 ton logsplitter worth fixing?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cubbby46

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Today , after having difficulty with this splitter, I found the problem: actually I found a huge puddle of oil. Its a a 2002 27 ton MTD (model 500 series, both vert/horizontal)powered by a Tecumseh 6hp. I dont remember having any issues last oil change, but the bottom of the engine, where the oil drain plug goes, split completely off. No idea how. I found a replacement part for about $70....is this worth trying to fix? Another alternative is a 5.5 hp B&S Quantum I have,,,,can I use that?
Thanks for the aadvice!

Randy

Today , after having difficulty with this splitter, I found the problem: actually I found a huge puddle of oil. Its a a 2002 27 ton MTD (model 500 series, both vert/horizontal)powered by a Tecumseh 6hp. I dont remember having any issues last oil change, but the bottom of the engine, where the oil drain plug goes, split completely off. No idea how. I found a replacement part for about $70....is this worth trying to fix? Another alternative is a 5.5 hp B&S Quantum I have,,,,can I use that?
Thanks for the aadvice!

Randy

considering a new splitter will cost you about 10x's the amount of the part needed i would say absolutely. I would put the coin into it. If you consider the cost of a new one, it's a no brainer. Is everything else on it ok?

Forgot to mention that I have a MTD 31 horse with a briggs and the the thing has been very good to me. Had one issue with it, but it was my own stupidity...nothing else. Good luck.

May want to look into one of the harbor freight honda clones, 6.5 hp, all new, and usually can get them for under 100 with a coupon. just a thought..

My guess is you'll be looking at the Farbor Freight 5.5hp engine. If I remember correctly that is the largest vertical shaft engine they have and I'm guessing your splitter is vertical shaft. I might be wrong. Last year I replaced my 6.5 briggs on my Huskee with the 5.5 Harbor Freight for about $75. This engine is quieter and uses less gas + a 2yr full warranty.

Just looked at HF.com. The 173cc (5.5hp?) is $119

Last edited:
I don't know how big the broken hole is, but.......
A lot of those Tecumseh engines have a second drain plug you could use... Maybe not as convenient, but usable.
If so, I'd be thinking JB Weld before I spent any money.
JB Weld will surprise you on how long, and under what conditions it will hold up.
If it don't work you could still always buy the new part.

I don't know how big the broken hole is, but.......
A lot of those Tecumseh engines have a second drain plug you could use... Maybe not as convenient, but usable.
If so, I'd be thinking JB Weld before I spent any money.
JB Weld will surprise you on how long, and under what conditions it will hold up.
If it don't work you could still always buy the new part.

:agree2:
Back in 84 my sister poked a hole in our honda trike's oil pan.. It received JB weld. It still runs.. never had a issue with leakage. Just clean all the gunk off the part to be JB welded. Works fantastic..lot cheaper and heck you may have JB weld at home..

Thanks for the advice, guys! Pulled the engine. The oil pan (or whatever they call them) cracked all along the threads and broke completely offf. Still not sure why. Didn't overtighten it...it has been running without a problem since last oil change. I'm thinking a few peices went flying, as I attempted the JB Weld (I agree: this is a miracle product) but can't get a solid fit. So I'm at the point of asking whether it's smarter to put $70 in a replacement pan and hope no metal shavings got into the engine or replace the entire engine. The HF price is attractive, but I wonder about getting replacement parts for itdown the road. I should mention the hydraulics of the thing have been flawless, never a problem. I keep the filter and hydraulic oil changed regularly. Ideas?

Thanks for the advice, guys! Pulled the engine. The oil pan (or whatever they call them) cracked all along the threads and broke completely offf. Still not sure why. Didn't overtighten it...it has been running without a problem since last oil change. I'm thinking a few peices went flying, as I attempted the JB Weld (I agree: this is a miracle product) but can't get a solid fit. So I'm at the point of asking whether it's smarter to put $70 in a replacement pan and hope no metal shavings got into the engine or replace the entire engine. The HF price is attractive, but I wonder about getting replacement parts for itdown the road. I should mention the hydraulics of the thing have been flawless, never a problem. I keep the filter and hydraulic oil changed regularly. Ideas?

A $100 engine would outlast that crappy briggs, No sense in repairing it with a $70 part and then the rings go or something else... just mho

When you say oilpan I assume you have a vertical shaft engine. I would see if your Briggs would work,as in shaft size same. Its not hard to split but I dont think its worth the effort to repair. Maybe you could find a new replacement engine and know its brand new and has a long life ahead of it. :msp_smile:

i'd get the HF engine and sell that one as a parts engine. Tecumseh went out of business a few years back so getting parts in the future will be probably be harder than it is now. You'll probably be able to sell it for $50 as is. Or look on craigs list for someone with a 6hp tec and buy that as a parts motor.

Put the Briggs on is the shaft size is the same, you won't know the difference. You may fall into a part for the engine that's on it, then you can put that one on if you like.

I'ed buy the $70 part before I would buy the chinganise engine.

I would replace a Tecumseh with any engine......my personal experience with Tecumseh has been nothing but problems.:cry:

Go with the Harbor Freight engine. I wrestled with the chinanganese arguments and am glad I tried it. They are cheap enough to just throw them away if something goes wrong and put on another. I have nearly a year on one and LOVE it.

Back