Mud and Tail Lights

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
You guys probably already knew this, but for me it was an eye opener. I had a signal light on the rear of the Silverado I drive go bad. I thought it was a fuse because the light was flashing slow, then speeding up. I took it to the local mechanic because that is way closer than the auto parts store. It was a broken bulb, the Chevy has two.

What was a shock was all the mud that was packed up agains the light. Packed. I try to avoid mud bogging but mud does happen. There's holes in the pickup body--to save weight? and they let mud and water and little rocks enter. I guess a spendier pickup would have a shield or something.

When I can get in the shop, or when the nasty weather stops, I'll put my own shield in there. What a wonderful pickup design.....NOT. I guess Fords have the same thing.

You guys probably already knew this, but for me it was an eye opener. I had a signal light on the rear of the Silverado I drive go bad. I thought it was a fuse because the light was flashing slow, then speeding up. I took it to the local mechanic because that is way closer than the auto parts store. It was a broken bulb, the Chevy has two.

What was a shock was all the mud that was packed up agains the light. Packed. I try to avoid mud bogging but mud does happen. There's holes in the pickup body--to save weight? and they let mud and water and little rocks enter. I guess a spendier pickup would have a shield or something.

When I can get in the shop, or when the nasty weather stops, I'll put my own shield in there. What a wonderful pickup design.....NOT. I guess Fords have the same thing.

Get a used 20 year old chevy (cuz they don't make em like that anymore). That way you don't have to worry about mud and rocks. Besides parts are in every junkyard across America.;)

I'm surprised they don't get you a truck with an off-road package.

The trick I've found with shields is setting them up so they keep stuff out and yet still let stuff out. Dirt and water always finds a way in and if it can fall out the bottom that is a good thing.

Mr. HE:cool:

If they made these things so they were sealed tight, then they would never break and no one would buy new vehicles. The repair departments would not make as much money!

On the 90's GM vehicles I've worked on, many of the switches inside the vehicle are open to the air. Like headlights, dimmer, power window switches, etc. We're talking pick-up trucks and Suburbans - vehicles you would use on dusty roads...

So you drive these with the windows down on dusty roads, and all sorts of dust / dirt gets into these switches. Then they stop working.

I bought my first vehicle in 71 and al of them I have owned have that problem. I don't think it is possible to keep the mud from packing into every nook and cranny. I've washed the dried mud out from underneath at the start of summer and I think I could plant a garden in the result.
I think it's something you have to live with if you drive logging roads in the rain.

I bought my first vehicle in 71 and al of them I have owned have that problem. I don't think it is possible to keep the mud from packing into every nook and cranny. I've washed the dried mud out from underneath at the start of summer and I think I could plant a garden in the result.
I think it's something you have to live with if you drive logging roads in the rain.

I was working for a timber co that had there own yard and scales a bunch of years ago.
I weighed my truck before and after and washed a verified 480 lbs of mud out from under it.

I was working for a timber co that had there own yard and scales a bunch of years ago.
I weighed my truck before and after and washed a verified 480 lbs of mud out from under it.

I've often wondered how much weight difference there would be. I don't wash it very much, the rain does that. I usually wait till after the fire guys have cleaned the washing area, then I go knock the mud off. :monkey:

I shouldn't do that, they are nice guys and have the keys to the heated shop.

Back