Muffler Bolts Falling out!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kd460

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I keep losing the muffler bolts on both my Stihl 028 and my 056. I have tried adding lock washers and they still eventually vibrate out.

Got pissed yesterday and used some loc-tite 272 (high strength, high temp). Probably won't help as it can only take about 400 degrees, and I am sure the head gets hotter than that.

I have read the horror stories about them getting into the cylinder, so would like to fix this problem once and for all. The threads on the bolts and the head are fine. Anybody got any ideas? As usual, thanks. KD

If the bolts are the standard allen head type change them to the torx type. They have grooves under the head that helps hold them in. Locktite never hurts either.

I have had this happen,but now check tightness on all bolts when getting the saw ready for the next day..After pulling the muffler I will check it through out the day for atleast the first couple days never needed locktite.

Exhaust gas temperature should be in the region of 500 - 600 C. The threads of the bolt will be quite a bit cooler as they are embedded in a cylinder fin that is sitting at about 200C. I think your hi temp loctite will hold.

Nuts and bolts can lose their bite, used enough. Next time they drop out, grab new ones. 2-bits at the hardware store. Think husky has a saw or two that spits 'em out.

OK, gonna see if the loctite works, will take a trip to the stihl dealer in a few days and will pick up some spares as well.

FYI, these are the bolts that thread into the aluminum head. Thanks again,:chainsaw: KD

I have had this same problem with my Husky 272.
Even broke the muffler mount.
I ordered new bolts, buffler mount ect.. from Baileys.

Loctite works great, on a new saw allow the muffler to go through a few heating and cooling processes first before finaly loctiting it in place, helps to get the muffler expanding and contracting a few times so it finds its final shape.

All mine get shake proof washers and lock-tite and they are there till you want them out. Sometimes that's cause for a new thread how to get um out without screwing something up. Good luck.

Shake proof washers? You mean lock washers? I had thos on when thay came lose (again) KD

Last edited:
Shake proof washers? You mean lock washers? I had thos on when thay came lose (again) KD

I think they serve the same purpose but the shake proofs are not made like regular lock washer that's what I like about um seem to work for me real good and they don't mar up the metal as bad. They are kinda like the Stihl torx head bolts. I get 200 of um in a pack for about $7 and use um on everthing.

Latest posts

Back