Muffler Mod Shopping List

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RES

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am putting together a shopping list for muffler modding a couple of my saws Lakeside style. I am gathering information from several threads. I have never done this so maybe some of you can help me or have better suggestions. Here is what I have so far:

Welding Kit
BernzOmatic Model OX2550
Cost $49.95
Source. Lowes
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?acti...tId=98894-000000717-OX2550&detail=&lpage=none

Tubing
Large Tubing 16mm (5/8” O.D)
McMaster Carr Part #9220K93
OD 0.625 in.
ID 0.527 in.
Wall Thickness 0.049 in.

Small Tubing (14mm (1/2” O.D)
McMaster Carr Part #9220K92
OD 0.500 in.
ID 0.402 in.
Wall Thickness 0.049 in.
Cost 3ft. $7.15

Spark Arresters
16 mm
Screen –Stihl Part# 4223 141 9000 Cost $4.25
Clip - Stihl Part# 4223 141 6000 Cost $3.25

14 mm
Screen –Stihl Part# 4203 141 9005 Cost $5.56
Clip - Stihl Part# 4203 141 6000 Cost $2.00

High Temperature Paint
Need help here

Relevant Threads
http://arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=33528&highlight=361+muffler+mod
http://new.arboristsite.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9&page=2&order=desc
http://new.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=63926

Lakeside muffle mod

Just finished one on my MS361. Mega Kudos to Lakeside on the design! :cheers: It was terribly easy and very smooth.

I did the 16mm mod on mine. The 16mm thin wall pipe I did not find readily available. I used a 1/2" ID bolt spacer. It cost 39 cents at the hardware store. The wall thickness is amost exactly what you have listed with a 5/8" OD. I would have preferred thinner wall but just not readily available locally. The id was about .510", again with a thinner wall tube you can get a larger outlet. They are rolled steel so you have to braze or weld the seam. I used a 110v mig welder and it works great - no blow throughs on the muffler and filled the seam perfect, we use it on car exhaust all the time and is perfect on the low settings for sheet metal.

Took less than 1 hour beginning with grabbing the torx wrench to having the muffler bolted back on excluding paint drying time. The screen fits perfect and the saw runs great!:clap:

Again, Lakeside :censored: Rocks!

Is it possible to modify these mufflers with must a Mapp gas torch without oxygen, or is oxygen needed?

I checked Home Depot for tubing in their metal bar, rod and tubing display. They had 1/2" and 3/4" but no 5/8". Both tubings had a wall thickness of 1/16" or 0.0625". They didn't have the Brazing set that I show in my first post above but they did sell a Mapp gas set (no oxygen) and had both Mapp and Oxygen replacement cylinders.

After reading this thread, I bought a 1/2" bolt spacer at Ace hardware but it was too small to fit the 16mm screen. It works well with the 14mm though. They had a 5/8 spacer too but the wall thickness bumped up considerably between 1/2 and 5/8. You'd have to turn it down for the screen to fit over the outside.

Ian

If the 1/2" spacer had the wall thickness of the 5/8 that would work, but as it is, I'm afraid it would leave it too thin. I don't have a muffler to mod at the moment anyway so it really doesn't matter much. I'm just collecting more junk for the saw corner. I had thought about buying an aftermarket muffler for the 372 and modding it like that so I'd have a screen. As it is, it's just a hole with one of those Husky deflectors welded over it. (remember you made a comment about it at the GTG)

Ian

Edit.. my 1/2 and 5/8 are ID, not OD. I noticed that the shopping list pipe is all OD

Last edited:
If the 1/2" spacer had the wall thickness of the 5/8 that would work, but as it is, I'm afraid it would leave it too thin. I don't have a muffler to mod at the moment anyway so it really doesn't matter much. I'm just collecting more junk for the saw corner. I had thought about buying an aftermarket muffler for the 372 and modding it like that so I'd have a screen. As it is, it's just a hole with one of those Husky deflectors welded over it. (remember you made a comment about it at the GTG)

Ian

Edit.. my 1/2 and 5/8 are ID, not OD. I noticed that the shopping list pipe is all OD

The 1/2" ID bolt spacers I bought had a 5/8 OD and the 16mm screen fit perfect. I would have ran a drill through it to enlarge the ID but did not have a bit large engough. Works great though.

Brian

I don't know what I was doing before, but went back out there and the big screen fit fine on the spacer. But, I measured the extra port that Ed has on the 372 and I'd need 3 of those pipes and still not equal the 1.25 x .5 hole that's there. Oh well, good thought anyway.

Ian

Latest posts

Back