Multitek Processors

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BPS. LLC

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with Multitek? I love my Timberwolf splitter, but when I asked them about processors, they said they would never consider making one with a carbide blade due to liability. This appears to be a new model from Multitek and the savings over say 1000 cords would be considerable.

http://multitekinc.com/app/inventoryapp/new_equipment_and_parts/inventory_view/2-3-66-1.html

No more bar oil, blades and sharpening time/cost. Just bolt on new carbide after 500 cords or so. This is a smaller unit, and hopefully it is much more affordable than the cord king processor with a blade. I'm going to get more information and crunch the numbers.

This may cause me to get kicked out of the house, so if anyone has a spare room in their basement or garage, maybe we could barter the room for some processing! :yoyo:

They need to reverse the blade so it shoots the sawdust away from the operator and have a chute to direct it to the ground. You'll be eating a lot of chips running that all day.

Ian

Does anyone have any experience with Multitek? I love my Timberwolf splitter, but when I asked them about processors, they said they would never consider making one with a carbide blade due to liability. This appears to be a new model from Multitek and the savings over say 1000 cords would be considerable.

http://multitekinc.com/app/inventoryapp/new_equipment_and_parts/inventory_view/2-3-66-1.html

No more bar oil, blades and sharpening time/cost. Just bolt on new carbide after 500 cords or so. This is a smaller unit, and hopefully it is much more affordable than the cord king processor with a blade. I'm going to get more information and crunch the numbers.

This may cause me to get kicked out of the house, so if anyone has a spare room in their basement or garage, maybe we could barter the room for some processing! :yoyo:

I have a spare room if you bring the processor.

Scott

Wish mine had that blade. Would be well worth it. Ditto on the chips! They really need to go the other way.

My brother researched them ~10 years ago when he was looking for a processor. He talked to two owners and they said there were bugs and problems with them that they just could not seem to overcome. That was 10+ years ago and so things should hopefully have changed since then.

My brother went with a Timberwolf because he said the parts on the TW were easy to find. Everything on the Multitek was custom or special order so if something went down, you had to order a part. With the TW, many parts can be gotten from farm supply or industrial houses.

Price

What is the price of the Multitek 1620S?.

There is a guy that used to advertise on AS..... CRD Metal that builds a cord king knock off and it lists for $64,900.00

The Multitek is a sharp machine but I bet the price is near to or exceeds the CRD machine.

firewood processor

Why waste your good money on this when you can buy the smallest gasoline engine powered Chomper from Rainer hydraulics for less money shear everything to 12 inch length and use the TW-5 for the bigger rounds?

Dont forget the rotary saw blade will have to be removed and hammered back into shape by someone who hammers saws -one of whom is Casey Creamer, who is "The Saw Doctor".

AND the insertable I.P. Carbides dont work very well in reverse cutting and simply gouge, the kerf is also larger and with the Chomper no conveyor is needed due to its log winch.

Last edited:
The Chomper is a toy compared to Multitek, Cordking or any other major brand. Dragging logs through the dirt one at a time makes no sense. There is a reason why there are lots of used Chomper out there - they suck |

firewood

No the Chomper does not suck "It Shears" and splits firewood in one smooth operation.

The Chomper may be smaller than the "circular saw slashers" that are currently being marketed, furthermore you are mistaken in thinking they are toys.

The purchase owning and operating costs are less than the units with log decks as they do not require support machinery to load logs AND they are not affected by dirt or mud stopping them in their tracks on any firewood logs.

The reason there are used Chompers for sale is simply that the owner may no longer be selling firewood or the owner has purchased a larger chomper for the production of firewood.

The Chomper only requires one operator where most slashers require tow persons one to operate the slasher and a second to load loags and any economy of scale is lost in firewood production if the market is competitve in the area.

Last edited:
Does the "Chomper" magically clean the wood after is drags it through the dirt ?
Very hard to sell firewood that is caked in mud.

Their advertising claims 2-4 cords an hour - get real ! Maybe 2-4 cords a day.

firewood

Does the "Chomper" magically clean the wood after is drags it through the dirt ?
Very hard to sell firewood that is caked in mud.

Their advertising claims 2-4 cords an hour - get real ! Maybe 2-4 cords a day.

Uh huh, did you notice it has a six second cycle time, that it will shear firewood at a 12 inch length, that it can split up to 8 ways or simply shear rounds up to 24 inches long so its easily done by many owners.

The Chomper has a standard debris separation grate to allow the mud, dirt and wood bits and other junk on the logs to fall off after the firewood is sheared and pushed forward while it cross the grate where in doing dirt is not an issue for them to worry about.

I hope this answers your concerns, but you can always look at the video of a chomper at work to see how easily it is done.

As I mentioned previously it is using mechanical advantage and fluid power to
process all species of firewood.

www.chomper.net

Last edited:
1620 ss

I talked to Multitek and they gave me a price of ~42,000 for a well equiped 1620SS not a terriable price for a new processor

I talked to Multitek and they gave me a price of ~42,000 for a well equiped 1620SS not a terriable price for a new processor

Ouch. I should have known, I was thinking (dreaming) of a 30,000 price tag. As previously mentioned, I would like to see the discharge chute going the other way, but I'm sure there's a reason for it. I would have to increase production ten fold to even consider the unit.

Plus, I would have to ensure supply of logs. I only buy logs from a friend now, and I get about all the oak he has. I would need to find three or four reliable suppliers...maybe when my son gets a little older.

They say 2-3 cord/hr. Has anyone in the real world been able to confirm that's achievable? If that machine is pumping out 2 cord/hr, 5 hrs a day, 4 days a week, that's 40 cord a week, 160 cord a month for , say, 4 months a year = 640-ish cord p.a If that machine only lasts three years and it worth nothing at the end of that period, that's a capital cost of only about $11 per cord, excluding new saw blades, maintenance, etc. That seems pretty good value to me.

Has anyone done the math on harvester bar service life costs via the saw blades servicing/replacement costs?

My brother runs a Timberwolf and he has been going to trade shows for years and he always asks the guys that actually run processors what they really get for production. Every one of them, regardless of model of processor they run will tell you it is all over the map how much you can get out. Run nice straight p-ecker poles that go once through the splittler and production is way up. Toss in a crooked, dirty big old monster that requires resplitting and production drops to a crawl. Even between him and his one operator he has that runs his machine for him he says that he is a good 50-100% faster than his other operator man. My brother can operate 3-4 handles at once thus getting 3-4 things happening at once, whereas the other guy is lucky to be splitting a block at the same time he is advancing the log for the next cut.

My brother runs a Timberwolf and he has been going to trade shows for years and he always asks the guys that actually run processors what they really get for production. Every one of them, regardless of model of processor they run will tell you it is all over the map how much you can get out. Run nice straight p-ecker poles that go once through the splittler and production is way up. Toss in a crooked, dirty big old monster that requires resplitting and production drops to a crawl. Even between him and his one operator he has that runs his machine for him he says that he is a good 50-100% faster than his other operator man. My brother can operate 3-4 handles at once thus getting 3-4 things happening at once, whereas the other guy is lucky to be splitting a block at the same time he is advancing the log for the next cut.

A bit like digger operators. Watching some you'd think they are somehow bypassing their hands and there's a more direct link between the nurons in their head and the arm of their digger b/c they are so smooth and productive. While watching other operators is like watching paint dry and you either thank your lucky stars you aren't the poor sod paying them by the hour, or if you are, you're already on the phone looking for another guy or at least working out if it's better to pay another set of transport costs for another digger and getting that snail off your site.

the thing about processors that I've noticed is that they are predominantly bought to generate some scale. The classic fast nickle rather than slow dime scenario. There isn't enough big stuff here nor enough $ for me to buy a processor capable of really big logs. So, something that would handle, say, up to 20" and take all the plantation grown pecker poles I could throw at it would be nice.

Latest posts

Back