My 1st 200t!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WolverineMarine

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey guys..just won a used 200t with a 14" bar for $335 the other day on e-bay and I'm eagerly waiting to get it..could I get some recomendations of what ya'lls favorite chain is to run on these? Does everyone prefer STIHL chains..or do Oregon and Woodland Pro(outta Baileys cataolg) make comparable or better chains?

Last edited:
Oh great, don't forget to show pics of the damage. Please take it easy for a few years til you get used to it. There is a good chance its gonna get ya. How is your grip? Do you plan the follow through? Remmeber where your hands are and what they are doing... every dam mili-second. Hey, Iam tossing two old pair of Reddy's, maybe I should take pics of the knick marks before they go.

Well Dan, lets not educate, lets just scare the crap out of them and tell them they will DIE IF THEY DON'T LISTEN TO YOU!!!!

They are a nice powerful saw, be carefull, work safe, and get used to it on the ground for a while. They are a GREAT saw, but take a LOT more working with them to be safe.

Don't listen to 'em wolv, that little toy ain't a thing. Best tree saw there is. Congrats.

We make our own chains (Oregon) at my shop and I can't see any real difference between the Stihl Chains and the Oregon chains. That being said, get whatever is cheaper.

As far as the 200T goes, its a trim saw, albeit the Cadillac of trim saws but its still a trim saw. Any saw is dangerous in a tree, if you've used an echo, husky, or anything else in a tree, a 200 is no different. Have fun, but be safe.

Well Dan, lets not educate, lets just scare the crap out of them and tell them they will DIE IF THEY DON'T LISTEN TO YOU!!!!

They are a nice powerful saw, be carefull, work safe, and get used to it on the ground for a while. They are a GREAT saw, but take a LOT more working with them to be safe.

I am paying you no mind... you are obviously drunk. But no, The Dan is afraid, always has been. Its good to know what to afraid of. **** within a month after dropping off the echos to street bums I had done more harm than good with a 20. Man, once I revved er up and stuck the top of the bar into a some 9 inch bradford pear one winter to make a notch and the next second it just ate right on through the whole thing. I was just standing there on a spar going" Man, that one hell of a saw!" The power co came and put the line up for me, cost The Dan 500... the lady was PISSED, No I mean PISSSSSED.
I just had to have more. Wasn't til MANY years later I got bit... real hard. Yeah, just what are the chances of that?
hey what do they teach at Jedi school? Not to drop your light saber?
I have seen a lot of video on ground cutting but what of in the trees? Anyone have anything?

Last edited:
You guys always crack me up..LMAO If I ever have a crappy day diggin holes and trenches for foundations with my excavator and backhoe at my day job..theres always a good laugh to be had in this place..LOL

You guys always crack me up..LMAO If I ever have a crappy day diggin holes and trenches for foundations with my excavator and backhoe at my day job..theres always a good laugh to be had in this place..LOL

Good, good then. Nice win on the saw, remember she's a loudmouthed B^%$#@ but she has a job to do... for you... not on you. That woman is set in her ways.

I call B... S...

We make our own chains (Oregon) at my shop and I can't see any real difference between the Stihl Chains and the Oregon chains. That being said, get whatever is cheaper.

As far as the 200T goes, its a trim saw, albeit the Cadillac of trim saws but its still a trim saw. Any saw is dangerous in a tree, if you've used an echo, husky, or anything else in a tree, a 200 is no different. Have fun, but be safe.

Oregon softer so easier to sharpen, but won't hold edge as long.
Carlton harder to sharpen but holds edge longer.
Stihl best IMO harder chrome, keeps edge better, and doesn't seem to need slack taken out as often as Oregon or Carlton. Maybe cuz of the little groove in drive link oils better, or harder rivets perhaps???

If you are used to driving Geo Prisims and Ford Fiestas, you are now about to get in the drivers seat of a Corvette. Take it easy on the corners, easier on the gas, and you'll be just fine. 200T Is the prom queen (oldirty said that), and yes the others will try to bite ya, but the 200T tries harder.

Start slow, and enjoy the ride.

Sorry, forgot about the chain question. Stihl is number one. The GB/Carlton is a second. Depending on what day determines how close it seems.
I have given up hope on about everything Oregon. I want a bar that lasts more than a month, and a chain that will cut more than five min., but thats me.

200T Is the prom queen

lol. she sure is!

as long as you keep putting the wood to her she's gonna love you long time.

hey WM congrats on getting a date to the big dance bud.

(that stihl chain with the yellow paint on it is a good chain. pricey but good just keep it sharp)

Last edited:
Any saw is only as good as her operator.

I'm in line for a 200t myself. Mostly because service and parts are right down the road, but also because I'm quite sure she's everything my most respected peers say she is.

Congrats WM. Keep us posted on your progression.

mine would not stay running yesterday. I finally got it running and let it run full throttle for about 6 seconds when the chain binds and thows the bar completely off. now its as if the bar has been pinched or something because I can't get the links to slide in there and it will not lide around the bar. The sprocket turns freely but this bar is totally f*&^ up. I'm steamed.

My saw guy sells 200's to a municipality up here and every year they turn in the oldest 2 for new. The saw is 2 years old and I paid $300.00, I felt like I hit the lottery. It is my second 200, bought the first one new. I had a 192 for back up and absolutely hated it. This guy is from Clyman for you locals and has 1 left. Pete

I`ll be gettin a 200t soon, I bought an 020 in 98 and that saw is still kickin A$$............. its been dropped, swung on a lanyard like a wrecking ball, etc..etc.. it is truely the timex of chainsaws!!! there is none better!!

LXT............

I too have a 020 from the mid 90's. It is as strong today as it was new. These saws are quite obnoxious, especially with a 16" bar. If it ever dies I will replace it. Notice the lack of HER.lol Stihl chain is great, for some reason it oils better with the stihl chain. As far as sharp chains go, I don't notice any difference in longevity. But I do a couple strokes each time I get gas, so my chains only get dull if I hit something. There is no doubt less stretch in a stihl chain. But thats what adjusters are for. And as I recall the 200 has a new tooless adjuster. Maybe I will go get one myself and use the 020 for a back-up. You guys need to go into sales.

My saw guy sells 200's to a municipality up here and every year they turn in the oldest 2 for new. The saw is 2 years old and I paid $300.00, I felt like I hit the lottery. It is my second 200, bought the first one new. I had a 192 for back up and absolutely hated it. This guy is from Clyman for you locals and has 1 left. Pete

Pete, I sent you a PM and am interested in that saw. I need contact info if you would be so kind, thank you.

Latest posts

Back