My 1st post, saw wont start

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hktool1

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Been lurking around the board for awhile, but have never posted before. Lots of good info here and I'm hoping someone can help me out. I bought an echo qv8000 that has been converted to run a regular b&c off eBay about 2 years ago. It ran good when I first got it, but the chain brake broke and it has been sitting for some time. Tank was emptied and small amount of oil was put in cylinder. Today I fueled it up and thought I would run it. -No luck. Cranked on it for about 2 hours. My shoulder hurts like hell. Tried some gas down the carb, 2 different plugs, ohmed and gapped coil, compression reads 170psi, p&c look new, muffler is clear, blue spark @ plug, getting fuel to carb.

I did notice that every time I cranked on it and then pulled the plug that it was wet with gas and the choke butterfly has fuel puddled around it. Im running out of ideas fast... Thanks Will

On a positive note I picked up 2 Makita 6401's @ home depot the other day for $145ea. Gave one to my pops and they run great!! Will

Most likely flooding it. Try starting with choke on and throttle wide open. After that, you're going in the carb to check the metering lever height.

I tried with no choke and the throttle locked but nothing happened. Not even a sputter. Ill try opening the carb up tonight and maybe that will fix it. Thanks

I tried with no choke and the throttle locked but nothing happened. Not even a sputter. Ill try opening the carb up tonight and maybe that will fix it. Thanks

Some saws, once flooded, don't want to be blown out, you can only let it sit and wait until all the extra gas evaporates.

HF

After you let it dry out - or while it's drying out - check your metering level in your carb and make sure it's within manufacturer's specs; usually flush with the body of the carb. Also make sure the needle is seating. A carb cleaning may be in order.

Did you pull the spark plug to see if it had spark?

If you do pull a plug and check it after flooding the engine be careful (if you use the grounding on crankcase method of checking for spark) not to eat the resulting fireball - take it from one who has had such a darwin moment - those fireballs don't taste too good.

It wont fire if it gets to much gas if plug is wet drain gas keep changing spark plugs untill it fires then add gas see what happens

Some saws, once flooded, don't want to be blown out, you can only let it sit and wait until all the extra gas evaporates.

HF

Right, you can be pulling on it all day with the same plug you won't get anything if this was the case for me I done it before take carb off pull on it keep changing plugs untill it starts.

Those are *extremely* easy starting saws, I have one, it's tops, and like you, the engine came from a fireman's quickvent, then I stuck all new everything fom an orange regular donor saw around it to make a complete saw. There's no need to yank more than around three times tops.

if in doubt, stop yanking, don't yank ANYTHING, two or four stroke for two hours, you are just wearing out the starting mechanism for no good reason and getting pizzed off as well, which makes you not think straight. You got a pint of fuel sloshing around the crankcase now. My rule of thumb anymore is around six yanks tops, no startee, back on the bench, fix it. I have lost any interest whatsoever in hard to start machinery, it starts, gets fixed, or is junk/parts. Developed zero tolerance for that noise.

Needle is stuck open or something in the carb, junk, bad gasket diaphragm who knows. could be a plugged up muffler! Inspect that thing, dang mud daubers, learned my lesson on that one..... Clean the carb. Pull the plug, turn the saw upside down and yank it then. Get the mix out. Heck, pull the muffler (you have it off anyway for inspection) and tip it that way and yank it some until you get it dry again. Maybe even see if it will pop for a second with the muff off (just a second) New plug. With an empty carb, maybe two-three pulls on choke, then off choke, then start it.

welcome to AS, these guys will treat you good. have some new guy rep.

Did you see that he registered in '08? :hmm3grin2orange:

OP....about time you posted! Welcome! Is the switch on?

Like others have said, pull the plug and check for spark. If it has spark, keep the plug out and pull it over a few times. Then, put the plug back in, choke off, throttle wide open, pull it over. It should start.

Walbro HDA carb. Probably the metering diaphragm is hard and that is what is holding the lever down and keeping the needle open. May loosen up after soaking but should replace the diaphragms and gaskets.

Full kit - K12-HDA
Diaphragm kit - D11-HDA

HDA service manual; http://wem.walbro.com/distributors/servicemanuals/HDAseries.pdf

Thanks for all the help! I don't know much about chainsaws but the responses I have gotten were right on.

I pulled carb apart, it was pretty clean. Metering lever was very close, so I only tweaked it a very small amount. Then I installed carb back on and with muffler off gave it a pull and guess what, it fired!! I left it alone after that because it was getting late and didn't want to wake up the neighbors kids.

So today I bolted muffler on and pulled it 2 times w/choke on and it popped. Pulled choke off and it ran for 1/2 second then died. It wont idle but will run with trigger fully pressed but does not accelerate and and sounds kinda funny. With filter off it still is wet with gas around carb, and when I pulled the plug it is still wet. I have the h&l mixture screws out 2 turns each and idle 1.5 turns past touching throttle lever. What should I do from here? Thanks in advance

Walbro HDA carb. Probably the metering diaphragm is hard and that is what is holding the lever down and keeping the needle open. May loosen up after soaking but should replace the diaphragms and gaskets.

Full kit - K12-HDA
Diaphragm kit - D11-HDA

HDA service manual; http://wem.walbro.com/distributors/servicemanuals/HDAseries.pdf

I forgot to mention that I rebuilt the carb when I first got it, but I just noticed that I may have the wrong one. According to Echo, it is supposed to have a HDA-45 or HDA-153. On mine it says HDA-63. I'm thinking that could be a problem......

Was the diaphragm hardened up? As was mentioned earlier, it could be holding your needle open. If it were mine, I think I'd rebuild the carb and see how it does.

Logan, no the diaphragm was not stiff. I had forgotten that I rebuilt the carb when I picked it up (has been a couple years now, but tank was stored empty). I adjusted the mix screws 1.5 turns out and now it runs much better and the outside of the carb is dry.- But to get it to idle I had to turn the Idle screw all the way in until it bottoms out against the carb body. According to the echo info I can find, the saw calls for a Hda 153 or hda 45. On my carb, it says its a 63. Maybe the previous owner swapped the wrong one in. Any thoughts?

Thanks for all the help! I don't know much about chainsaws but the responses I have gotten were right on.

I pulled carb apart, it was pretty clean. Metering lever was very close, so I only tweaked it a very small amount. Then I installed carb back on and with muffler off gave it a pull and guess what, it fired!! I left it alone after that because it was getting late and didn't want to wake up the neighbors kids.

So today I bolted muffler on and pulled it 2 times w/choke on and it popped. Pulled choke off and it ran for 1/2 second then died. It wont idle but will run with trigger fully pressed but does not accelerate and and sounds kinda funny. With filter off it still is wet with gas around carb, and when I pulled the plug it is still wet. I have the h&l mixture screws out 2 turns each and idle 1.5 turns past touching throttle lever. What should I do from here? Thanks in advance

Factory is 1 1/4 on the H for an initial setting on a new engine for the older serial number ones. If it is fouling out and not idling at all I would guess two full turns out on both screws is a wee bit much. check the link, see which one you have.

Operator Manuals, Safety Manuals, Parts Catalogs, Safety Videos | ECHO USA

Latest posts

Back