My 268 xp won't idle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Be sure the impulse passage way is not plugged-- its a tiny hole that runs from the pump side of your carb through the manifold and down into the crankcase. It provides the energy (pulses) to the pumper side of your carburetor so it can pump fuel to the metering side of the carb. I use 15psi compressed air on the passageway and listen to hear the sound of the air making its way into the crankcase.

Thanks, I will check it out.

Be sure the impulse passage way is not plugged-- its a tiny hole that runs from the pump side of your carb through the manifold and down into the crankcase. It provides the energy (pulses) to the pumper side of your carburetor so it can pump fuel to the metering side of the carb. I use 15psi compressed air on the passageway and listen to hear the sound of the air making its way into the crankcase.

Is it the small hole next to the screw hole, on the intake manifold?

Just an update. After rebuilding my carb, and getting a Fast Tach the 268xp rips. I tuned the carb, to factor spec. (1 turn out on L and H ), and tested it with the tach, and it was around 12,500. I could lean it out to get 13,000 ?

Just an update. After rebuilding my carb, and getting a Fast Tach the 268xp rips. I tuned the carb, to factor spec. (1 turn out on L and H ), and tested it with the tach, and it was around 12,500. I could lean it out to get 13,000 ?

As long as it will still slightly 4 stroke,you can tune it to 13,000. You should test it in the cut to see if it cuts better at 13,000 or lower at 12,500. While cutting,listen to it under load and out of the wood slightly. You should hear the 4 stroking very clearly out of the cut.

As long as it will still slightly 4 stroke,you can tune it to 13,000. You should test it in the cut to see if it cuts better at 13,000 or lower at 12,500. While cutting,listen to it under load and out of the wood slightly. You should hear the 4 stroking very clearly out of the cut.

I found the operator's manual, and it says Max RPM is 13,300 w/ bar and chain. I've seen the max RPM from 12,500 - 13,300?! What is the Max RPM in the cut 9000?

No idle

Sounds like the classic symptoms of the main seals leaking air. If the seals are bad, the bearings are probably bad. I've had to replace them twice in my Stihl 046, but I have well over 3000 hours on it.

Back