My 288xp/660 piston swap build...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just a quick question, folks. I have a bit trouble with the ignition of this model. As you can see in the pic above, the ignition consists of a ignition coil located next to the flywheel and a separate module located near the carb (blue part).

Is there an alternative ignition that works for this model ? How can the coil or the module be checked if they are working OK. Is there an aftermarket that fits these models ?

I have a few projects but have only succeeded in one ignition to work. Any info appreciated .
thanks in advance

Yes, 288's had 2 different ignition systems. One had just the single coil/module, I'm pretty sure you could swap them, might have to change the flywheel too though.

Mike-

Looks like you did real good work there. I like the looks of that handlebar, is that aftermarket? Pro-Safety made some like that years ago and the grips were really nice.

Thanks Jacob, that means alot. I like the bar but it has a funny bend on the bottom, the saw doesn't sit flat with it. Yes, the bar is aftermarket I think. It came from eBay too...

:cheers:
Mike

Yes, the handlebar sure looks aftermarket!

Not sure Belgian, this is my first 288. Hopefully somebody else can take that question.

Don't have a good awnser for that one either, I guess less is more.;)

:cheers:
Mike

Hey guys I got the lite version honestly the only difference I see between it and my buddies Xp is my vibe absorbers are springs, and his are solid rubber. Honestly I don't really see much difference in weight either, I think it is just a gimick, to help sale saws.

I have another cylinder coming for mine with decomp, it's used, so I hope it looks as good as promised. I have another piston...actually 2 pistons ready to go on the lathe....

I have another cylinder coming for mine with decomp, it's used, so I hope it looks as good as promised. I have another piston...actually 2 pistons ready to go on the lathe....

Gonna build another Mike?? Sweet sound of the 288.

it is my thinking that the 288 lite is because of a piston difference. i have seen 3 different pistons in the 288. it sorta makes since because there were 3 different models of the 288. on the serial # tag some just say 288. some have 288xp and not sure on the lite but seem i remember them had 288 lite. i have noticed on one if the pistons the webing inside the piston is alot thinner which makes me believe it it the 288 lite version. this is the piston i used inmi 288 that i had ai the mo gtg. although i only made 3 or 4 cuts with it before breaking the rope i'm sertan a few people saw it cut and it was pretty quick. i need me a comp release on mine too. but have way to much port work time on this cyl that it will stay where it is. i have 2 runners and built several other 288 runners and there is the 15 or 20 part saws in different states of disrepair. the 288 to me is one of the best saws ever built and nothing will change my mind on that. not saying there are not any other good saws out there i have 30 to 40 runners of other brands and sizes and like them all for different reasons
jnl

why not raise the exhaust port a little, it should reduce compression a bit and might even run a bit better with the correct balance, maybe widen the intake slightly???

Since you've lowered the cylinder by going with a smaller gasket you can raise the exhaust port that amount to restore the exhaust timing to stock.

By lowering the cylinder you've also increased the intake timing but then again this is dependent on the length of the skirt of the 066 piston. You can raise the exhaust a little further to take full benefit of this, but don't go to far because raising the exhaust port will increase top end hp and max RMP but you'll sacrifice a little torque in the mid section.

If you go too far you'll know the first time the saw lays down on you when your pushing it a little to hard in the wood.

Ok, finally putting the cylinder with the decomp port on the saw tonight. I have a question for those of you that have done this conversion...the skirts on the 066 piston are narrower than the stock 288 piston, and from what I can tell this leaves me little to no "meat" to do any widening of the intake or the exhaust ports. Also the 066 piston has the ring locating pins on the intake side making it very difficult to do anything with the transfers too. If you have done one of these, did you do any porting on it???

Ok, finally putting the cylinder with the decomp port on the saw tonight. I have a question for those of you that have done this conversion...the skirts on the 066 piston are narrower than the stock 288 piston, and from what I can tell this leaves me little to no "meat" to do any widening of the intake or the exhaust ports. Also the 066 piston has the ring locating pins on the intake side making it very difficult to do anything with the transfers too. If you have done one of these, did you do any porting on it???

I ported against the 288 piston (NWP kit) and was too wide for the Meteor 066/660 piston when it had arrived.

If you don't have the means to turn a piston and cyl, you have to decide what is more important to you, compression or porting.

I ported against the 288 piston (NWP kit) and was too wide for the Meteor 066/660 piston when it had arrived.

If you don't have the means to turn a piston and cyl, you have to decide what is more important to you, compression or porting.

So I guess what your saying is either stick with a 288 piston and port it OR do the 066 piston and go for compression.

I already have it back together with the 066 piston, I guess I'm going for compression....

If you can, just do without the 066 piston, and machine the stock piston and cylinder, then go nuts on the porting.

I still have another good cylinder, I guess I could try it both ways.

Are you saying to make a pop-up from a 288 piston and then machine the base of the cylinder to lower it? I don't think there is enough on the 288 piston to machine a pop-up with out building it up???

Are you saying to make a pop-up from a 288 piston and then machine the base of the cylinder to lower it? I don't think there is enough on the 288 piston to machine a pop-up with out building it up???

It's common to do it this way for the people with the machinery or contacts.

Yes. You must first measure the ring land, to see how much meat you have there, most common allowable is a .030 popup, then lower the jug to get .020 squish, then you'll have lots of compression, and the ability to go wide on the ports. I could do the machine work for you, but you must be spot on, on your measurements, or send me the powerhead.

Latest posts

Back