My 3 yr old Husky 372xp is dead HELP!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lazermule

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I never thought a saw of this quality would ever give me this kind of trouble. 2 weeks ago, my brother was running my 3 yr old 372xp and I was there.... The chain looked a bit dull so I had him stop and told him where the sharp chains were and had him throw a new one on. He did just that, refueled it, added bar oil and made his way back to the wood pile. After about 5 mins he brought it to me and said "It won't start". I actually thought he was kidding as it has always been a 1-2 puller. He was right, I pulled and pulled and it wouldn't start. Here's what I have done and the info I have gathered so far: Put a new plug in it, still no start. Checked for spark, it has spark. Checked the compression, it has between 130-140 psi. Pulled the muffler to look at the cylinder, it looks great. I always run high octane gasoline and Amsoil Dominator oil. Like I said, it was running great and all he did was shut it off to change out the chain and it would not restart...

Any ideas???

Lazer

Bar Oil in the gas tank? My homelite got that treatment once.

I'm never in a hurry, I'm just moving fast.

try putting a bit of mix straight into the carb and see if it will fire, if it does then you need to check fuel line,,filter and impulse line,, if thosea re good then pull the carb and go through it

try putting a bit of mix straight into the carb and see if it will fire, if it does then you need to check fuel line,,filter and impulse line,, if thosea re good then pull the carb and go through it

I forgot to mention on my diagnosis, But I did put gas directly into the carb as well as right down the plug hole and not even a pop...

Lazer

Was the original plug wet when you pulled it? Bet it's flooded. Probably choked a warm saw, and kept pulling when it wouldn't start.

Prob was wet, but it's sat for 2 weeks now and its completely dry. Put the gas in the carb and no pop, put it directly in the cylinder and still nothing. I actually hit it with some starting fluid last night and still nothing...

I am leaning toward ignition???? Although it has spark, is it enough and at the right time??

Does the 130-140 psi on the compression sound alright to everyone?

Thanks,

Lazer

Prob was wet, but it's sat for 2 weeks now and its completely dry. Put the gas in the carb and no pop, put it directly in the cylinder and still nothing. I actually hit it with some starting fluid last night and still nothing...

I am leaning toward ignition???? Although it has spark, is it enough and at the right time??

Thanks,

Lazer

Comp sounds fine. Pull the muffler & look real good @ the cyl. If thats all good then pull the flywheel to check if has sheared the key. The key on these is cast into the flywheel itself.

i may be wrong on this,, so feel free to correct me everyone,,, if you have put a bit of fuel in the carb and it still doesn't pop with a new plug then the next thing i would check is the woodruff key on the fly wheel to make sure it hasn't sheared off

Sounds like what happened to me on the weekend. You've got the 3 things necessary for combustion: Spark, Compression and fuel. If you are putting fuel directly into the spark-plug cylinder hole & its not firing then its almost certainly too wet in there. Id put money on it being flooded.

Take the plug out, flip the saw over (so its upside down) switch it off and pull the cord slowly 10-20 times. You can try starting again (this usually works for a mildly flooded engine) or leave it overnight upside down for a stubborn one.

Odds are it will fire up just fine the next day.

Good luck & keep us posted.

Thanks,

Lazer

Could well be ignition related, as you said.

130-140 psi is a little low, but it should still start and run.
Are you sure you have the correct fitting for the comp gauge?

Bought a saw cheap yesterday that the former owner couldn't get to start. When I got it home I took the plug out, it was wet. Dumped the fuel that was in the tank because I didn't know how old it was. Turned the saw upside down and pulled it over a few times then let it sit in the sun while went in and watched the football game. Put a new plug in and filled the tank with new fuel mix and it started and stayed running on the 2nd pull.

No need to leave it upside down. The fuel will just puddly in the piston. Just leave it with the piston at BDC do that the transfers and exhaust are open. Leave the plug too.

Good point, brad. Piston at Bottom Dead Centre probably makes more sense. I was at wits end with my flooded saw so I just left it upside down after pulling the cord a dozen times to expel what I could.

Mine did almost as you are describing and it turned out to be a bad unlimited coil. The saw would try to start and that was about it. It had spark but not good enough to run. CJ

Latest posts

Back